Mar 20, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Quintero became expendable in Houston with Jason Castro back from injury and veteran Chris Snyder signed this offseason, but his ineptitude offensively makes him little more than a mediocre backup. He’ll split time behind the plate with Brayan Pena until Salvador Perez returns from knee surgery around midseason.
Bourgeois brings speed and defense to a fourth outfielder role, but he’s 30 years old and has hit just .262 with two homers and a .631 OPS in 192 games as a big leaguer. His minor-league production isn’t a whole lot better, so presumably he’ll back up Lorenzo Cain rather than steal his playing time.
Chapman was the Royals’ fourth-round pick in 2010 and has racked up impressive strikeout numbers in the low minors, so he’s a pretty solid haul for a pair of bench guys regardless of who the PTBNL turns out to be.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)