Mar 20, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz, who is making the switch from the closer’s role to the rotation this spring, came out of his start Tuesday against the Cubs after three innings due to right shoulder stiffness.
Feliz had pitched three scoreless innings on 49 pitches against the Cubs and was scheduled to go four innings or about 65 pitches. His fastball was at 90-92 mph in the first inning when he relied on the sinker, but he was more regularly at 95 mph later in the outing and topped out at 97.
Feliz also worked as a starter for part of last spring before shifting back to the closer’s role for Texas. He went on to struggle in the first half, during which he also missed a couple of weeks with shoulder inflammation, but he improved as the year went on.
It will be interesting to see what Texas does with Feliz now seemingly likely to start the year on the DL. Alexi Ogando was expected to be in the rotation before the Yu Darvish signing, and he’s obviously deserving of the spot after his strong performance last year. But if Feliz is only going to miss a couple of weeks, it’d probably make more sense to leave Ogando in the pen and let Scott Feldman take the couple of spot starts next month.
And as for Feliz, this isn’t necessarily such a bad thing. The Rangers wanted to keep him under 150 innings this year anyway, so they’ll be extra cautious. If he doesn’t start a game for the team until May, well, that just makes it more likely that he’ll be a factor into September and, hopefully, the postseason.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 50
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)