Mar 20, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
No, this isn’t based on any insight or news or tips or even any gossip. It’s based on this:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) March 20, 2012
Before that, I would have said that Ruben Amaro was probably inclined to wait out Chase Utley‘s injury, play Freddy Galvis at second base, get through the early, easy part of their schedule — 30 of their first 39 games come against sub-.500 teams — and remember that the team still won 102 games last season without Utley in the lineup for a large stretch of it.
But now? Man, if I’ve learned anything about how general managers operate these past few years, it’s that they only talk about how they’re comfortable with a guy taking over for an All-Star is when they’re trying to make it seem slightly less obvious to the other GMs that they’re really wanting to trade.
I know your game, Amaro. Your ninja tricks won’t work on me!
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (181)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)