Mar 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The Brewers announced today that Bob Uecker is getting a statue outside of Miller Park this summer. This led to the same Twitter joke being told over and over again, but Tyler Kepner said it best:
Brewers announce plans for a Bob Uecker statue. It will be placed juuuuuust a bit outside the Miller Park doors.
— Tyler Kepner (@TylerKepner) March 21, 2012
I laughed. Don’t pretend you didn’t.
As for the merits: it’s so easy to remember Uecker as Harry Doyle from “Major League” and, if you’re a tad older, as the funniest guy in those old Miller Lite commercials. But if you were unaware, Uecker is one of the best play-by-play guys around and has been for decades. Seriously: if you’re not in Wisconsin, get MLB.tv or XM radio or something and listen to some Brewers games this summer. He’s just fantastic.
And that’s definitely worth a statue. Especially in Milwaukee, where they honored Bud Selig with one. The least they can do is honor someone who has brought millions of people actual enjoyment.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)