Mar 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The Brewers announced today that Bob Uecker is getting a statue outside of Miller Park this summer. This led to the same Twitter joke being told over and over again, but Tyler Kepner said it best:
Brewers announce plans for a Bob Uecker statue. It will be placed juuuuuust a bit outside the Miller Park doors.
— Tyler Kepner (@TylerKepner) March 21, 2012
I laughed. Don’t pretend you didn’t.
As for the merits: it’s so easy to remember Uecker as Harry Doyle from “Major League” and, if you’re a tad older, as the funniest guy in those old Miller Lite commercials. But if you were unaware, Uecker is one of the best play-by-play guys around and has been for decades. Seriously: if you’re not in Wisconsin, get MLB.tv or XM radio or something and listen to some Brewers games this summer. He’s just fantastic.
And that’s definitely worth a statue. Especially in Milwaukee, where they honored Bud Selig with one. The least they can do is honor someone who has brought millions of people actual enjoyment.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)