Mar 21, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Skip Schumaker underwent further testing after being diagnosed with a torn oblique muscle earlier this week and it doesn’t sound like the Cardinals should expect him back anytime soon.
“There’s no timetable,” Schumaker told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “They just know there’s a significant injury in there. I kind of knew what it was.”
Schumaker added that “it could be four weeks, it could be six weeks” and that likely doesn’t include the minor-league rehab assignment needed before rejoining the active roster, so missing all of April seems likely.
He averaged 570 plate appearances per season from 2008-2010, but Schumaker made just 400 trips to the plate last year and was slated for an even smaller role this season before going down.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)