Mar 21, 2012, 3:20 PM EST
Skip Schumaker underwent further testing after being diagnosed with a torn oblique muscle earlier this week and it doesn’t sound like the Cardinals should expect him back anytime soon.
“There’s no timetable,” Schumaker told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “They just know there’s a significant injury in there. I kind of knew what it was.”
Schumaker added that “it could be four weeks, it could be six weeks” and that likely doesn’t include the minor-league rehab assignment needed before rejoining the active roster, so missing all of April seems likely.
He averaged 570 plate appearances per season from 2008-2010, but Schumaker made just 400 trips to the plate last year and was slated for an even smaller role this season before going down.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)