Mar 21, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Skip Schumaker underwent further testing after being diagnosed with a torn oblique muscle earlier this week and it doesn’t sound like the Cardinals should expect him back anytime soon.
“There’s no timetable,” Schumaker told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “They just know there’s a significant injury in there. I kind of knew what it was.”
Schumaker added that “it could be four weeks, it could be six weeks” and that likely doesn’t include the minor-league rehab assignment needed before rejoining the active roster, so missing all of April seems likely.
He averaged 570 plate appearances per season from 2008-2010, but Schumaker made just 400 trips to the plate last year and was slated for an even smaller role this season before going down.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)