Mar 21, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Skip Schumaker underwent further testing after being diagnosed with a torn oblique muscle earlier this week and it doesn’t sound like the Cardinals should expect him back anytime soon.
“There’s no timetable,” Schumaker told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “They just know there’s a significant injury in there. I kind of knew what it was.”
Schumaker added that “it could be four weeks, it could be six weeks” and that likely doesn’t include the minor-league rehab assignment needed before rejoining the active roster, so missing all of April seems likely.
He averaged 570 plate appearances per season from 2008-2010, but Schumaker made just 400 trips to the plate last year and was slated for an even smaller role this season before going down.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)