Mar 21, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Having struggled in his last two starts, Daniel Bard could return to the bullpen, CSN New England’s Sean McAdam reports.
McAdam says that a Red Sox staff member has told people outside of the organization that the team is prepared to go with Alfredo Aceves and Felix Doubront at the back of the rotation, leaving Bard out of the mix.
Bard started the spring strong, pitching five scoreless innings in his first two appearances, but he was lit up for seven runs by the Cardinals on March 15 and he wasn’t very sharp in allowing three runs over five innings to the Blue Jays on Tuesday. Overall, he’s walked 10 in 12 2/3 innings this spring.
Furthermore, the Red Sox were disappointed that Bard threw just one changeup in his 83-pitch outing Tuesday. “He’s got to understand that pitch,” manager Bobby Valentine said. “It could really be that pitch that gets the contact when we need some soft contact situations.”
If the Red Sox do return Bard to the pen, it’d probably be in his familiar eighth-inning role. Bard was considered by most to be the heir apparent to Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth, but that figures to be Andrew Bailey‘s job to start. Bard could always take over later is Bailey struggles or, more likely, gets hurt.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)