Mar 21, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Having struggled in his last two starts, Daniel Bard could return to the bullpen, CSN New England’s Sean McAdam reports.
McAdam says that a Red Sox staff member has told people outside of the organization that the team is prepared to go with Alfredo Aceves and Felix Doubront at the back of the rotation, leaving Bard out of the mix.
Bard started the spring strong, pitching five scoreless innings in his first two appearances, but he was lit up for seven runs by the Cardinals on March 15 and he wasn’t very sharp in allowing three runs over five innings to the Blue Jays on Tuesday. Overall, he’s walked 10 in 12 2/3 innings this spring.
Furthermore, the Red Sox were disappointed that Bard threw just one changeup in his 83-pitch outing Tuesday. “He’s got to understand that pitch,” manager Bobby Valentine said. “It could really be that pitch that gets the contact when we need some soft contact situations.”
If the Red Sox do return Bard to the pen, it’d probably be in his familiar eighth-inning role. Bard was considered by most to be the heir apparent to Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth, but that figures to be Andrew Bailey‘s job to start. Bard could always take over later is Bailey struggles or, more likely, gets hurt.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)