Mar 21, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
With Andres Torres (calf) joining Scott Hairston (oblique) on the sidelines, Jason Bay volunteered to take over in center field for the Mets.
Torres is still hopeful of being ready for Opening Day, but Hairston is probably DL bound. The Mets’ third-best option in center field, prospect Kirk Nieuwenhuis, is also nursing an oblique strain.
And none of those are ideal. Bay, who lost a step or two due to knee woes, last played center with the Pirates in 2005. Baxter played 43 games there in the minors, but two-thirds of those were in A ball in 2006-07. Loewen played 16 games in center in Triple-A last year and made errors on three of his 40 chances (good for a .925 fielding percentage). Valdespin has made one outfield appearance his entire pro career, that coming in the Dominican Summer League in 2007.
For what it’s worth, Baxter got the start in center in Wednesday’s exhibition game. Don’t be surprised if the Mets pick up another outfielder on waivers at some point within the next couple of weeks.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 12
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)