Mar 21, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Millwood signed a minor-league deal in January after spending the end of last season with the Rockies and the 37-year-old beat out Japanese import Hisashi Iwakuma for the fifth spot in the rotation.
Iwakuma, who was an elite starter in Japan for his entire career, will begin the season in the bullpen after showing underwhelming velocity. Last offseason the A’s bid $19 million for exclusive negotiating rights to Iwakuma and then balked at paying his asking price, which now looks like a very sound decision. His deal with the Mariners is worth just $1.5 million in upfront money.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)