Mar 21, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Millwood signed a minor-league deal in January after spending the end of last season with the Rockies and the 37-year-old beat out Japanese import Hisashi Iwakuma for the fifth spot in the rotation.
Iwakuma, who was an elite starter in Japan for his entire career, will begin the season in the bullpen after showing underwhelming velocity. Last offseason the A’s bid $19 million for exclusive negotiating rights to Iwakuma and then balked at paying his asking price, which now looks like a very sound decision. His deal with the Mariners is worth just $1.5 million in upfront money.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 0
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 83
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)