Mar 21, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
It will be the first Opening Day start for Strasburg, who wasn’t called up until June in 2010 and missed the beginning of last season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Strasburg returned to make five starts with a 1.50 ERA and 24/2 K/BB ratio down the stretch last year, looking every bit like his dominant pre-surgery self.
Manager Davey Johnson also revealed that Gio Gonzalez will follow Strasburg in the rotation by starting Game 2, but hasn’t said yet how he’ll arrange Jordan Zimmernan and Edwin Jackson. Chien-Ming Wang or John Lannan will be the Nationals’ fifth starter.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)