Mar 21, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
It will be the first Opening Day start for Strasburg, who wasn’t called up until June in 2010 and missed the beginning of last season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Strasburg returned to make five starts with a 1.50 ERA and 24/2 K/BB ratio down the stretch last year, looking every bit like his dominant pre-surgery self.
Manager Davey Johnson also revealed that Gio Gonzalez will follow Strasburg in the rotation by starting Game 2, but hasn’t said yet how he’ll arrange Jordan Zimmernan and Edwin Jackson. Chien-Ming Wang or John Lannan will be the Nationals’ fifth starter.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)