Mar 21, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
It will be the first Opening Day start for Strasburg, who wasn’t called up until June in 2010 and missed the beginning of last season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Strasburg returned to make five starts with a 1.50 ERA and 24/2 K/BB ratio down the stretch last year, looking every bit like his dominant pre-surgery self.
Manager Davey Johnson also revealed that Gio Gonzalez will follow Strasburg in the rotation by starting Game 2, but hasn’t said yet how he’ll arrange Jordan Zimmernan and Edwin Jackson. Chien-Ming Wang or John Lannan will be the Nationals’ fifth starter.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 35
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)