Mar 21, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The worst part of being a baseball blogger is that I never get a chance to pile on media frenzies that go down in the other sports. Man, I would have loved to add (virtually nothing) to the Dwight Howard stuff. To the Peyton Manning stuff. To, well, whatever the hell people get all animated about in hockey. But it’s out of my bailiwick, so I really can’t.
But once in a while, a small opportunity emerges. Like, say, the single-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres issuing a press release stating their desire to trade two mascots for the suddenly out-of-work Tim Tebow:
“We know that Tim was the cause for late-game comebacks in Denver and we have our own leader of rallies, the Rally Cop. We would like to offer the Broncos the Rally Cop as well as the Grounds Crew Gorilla, winner of an MiLB Golden Bobble head last season, in exchange for Tebow,” Storm vice president and general manager Chris Jones said in the announcement.
I’m assuming he’d be a pretty good hitter. He has lots of experience in sending balls to big, open grassy parts of the field where no one can catch it.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (158)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)