Mar 21, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The worst part of being a baseball blogger is that I never get a chance to pile on media frenzies that go down in the other sports. Man, I would have loved to add (virtually nothing) to the Dwight Howard stuff. To the Peyton Manning stuff. To, well, whatever the hell people get all animated about in hockey. But it’s out of my bailiwick, so I really can’t.
But once in a while, a small opportunity emerges. Like, say, the single-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres issuing a press release stating their desire to trade two mascots for the suddenly out-of-work Tim Tebow:
“We know that Tim was the cause for late-game comebacks in Denver and we have our own leader of rallies, the Rally Cop. We would like to offer the Broncos the Rally Cop as well as the Grounds Crew Gorilla, winner of an MiLB Golden Bobble head last season, in exchange for Tebow,” Storm vice president and general manager Chris Jones said in the announcement.
I’m assuming he’d be a pretty good hitter. He has lots of experience in sending balls to big, open grassy parts of the field where no one can catch it.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)