Mar 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s had two really good seasons. One of them was nine years ago, the other seven. He had one more useful season for the Marlins after that. Since he left Florida following the 2007 season he’s 4-15 with a 6.15 ERA while walking 7.1 hitters per nine and allowing 9.3 hits per nine.
I know he’s a lefty and lefties are supposed to live forever, and by all accounts he’s a great guy to have around. But there has been nothing — literally nothing — positive to be seen in his pitching. No indication whatsoever that he can help a ball club.
Yet despite this he’s able to find a job a mere day after getting cut late in spring training. Not to sound all Heymany here, but how is that possible while Johnny Damon, for example, can’t get a job? Or Roy Oswalt? Or any number of dudes?
I mean, good for Willis. But this vexes me so.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)