Adam Dunn homers twice, knocks in six against Royals

Mar 22, 2012, 7:07 PM EST

Chicago White Sox's first baseman Adam Dunn takes a swing during their spring training game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe Reuters

Adam Dunn never homered off a left-handed pitcher last year. Today, he hit two in three at-bats off Royals southpaw Bruce Chen.

Dunn delivered a two-run homer in the first and a grand slam in the fifth inning, giving him four homers in 24 at-bats this spring. He’s struck out just once and walked nine times.

After signing a big four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox, Dunn turned in one of the worst seasons in recent history in 2011, hitting .159/.292/.277 with 11 homers and 42 RBI in 415 at-bats. He was 6-for-94, good for a .064 average, against southpaws.

Obviously, a strong March isn’t making up for that, but it is looking like the White Sox will get to see the real Dunn this year. Even more than the four homers, it’s the one strikeout in 11 games that may be the most encouraging sign. Dunn struck out 27 times while hitting .224 in 67 at-bats last spring.

1. scatterbrian - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

With all due caveats, Dunn’s having a really nice spring. Both his homers today were off a lefty, although that lefty is called Bruce Chen…

2. leatherfacestwin - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

He will be comeback player of the year! Cant wait to watch the Sox shock everyone this year.

• vendolius - Mar 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

As bad as he was last year, he could hit .200 with 15 homers and still qualify as Comeback Player of the Year.

3. aceshigh11 - Mar 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

DUNN SMASH!!!

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Bruce Chen is the Spring Training equivalent of pitchers. It doesn’t matter/count because it’s Bruce Chen/Spring Training.

5. l0yalr0yal - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Negative things about Bruce Chen:
    His ERA
    His velocity
    His age
    We paid way too much for him and put him on a two year contract
    His name is Bruce

Positive things about Bruce Chen:
    He is freaking hilarious and a good follow on twitter. You’ll get things like… in response to golfing “They called me “Disco”, because I played in the 70’s.” and something like “Hey Ned, I need a trainer, my changeup is sick”.

He’s a good, positive guy to have around, but…. I really feel like we overpaid for him and a one-year contract would have been more suitable. Right now, either Danny Duffy, Felipe Paulino, or Luis Mendoza are going to get left out of the starting rotation because we gave money to Chen. And I’d rather have any of those three in there.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

At this point I’m thinking Duffy needs to start the season in Omaha. He’s all over the place.

I also think Chen is a ticking bomb, he’s been pitching lucky for two years, but he’s also lead the team in ERA for two years, so what are you gonna do?

• l0yalr0yal - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I still see Duffy as being so close. And you’re absolutely right, he is everywhere. He goes from pitching two or three perfect innings and striking out five, to giving up multiple run innings like it’s his job. I think he’s got great stuff and he is right there on the fringe. I think pitching lucky is a great way of putting it; he’s been personally getting the run support he needs to seem statistically relevant, but surely Ned and GMDM know it’s going to run out. Now that they’ve sent Crow back to relief, Are you thinking a Sanchez, Hochevar, Chen, Paulino, Mendoza rotation?

On another note, you’re basically the only one that comments on anything Royals related, so I thought I would check out your website. Didn’t realize you run an KS/MO blog, it makes sense now. Congrats on your first race, as well. See you at Kauffman on the 13th?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester