Mar 22, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
Right-hander Jose Rafael DePaula, who was originally known as Rafael DePaula Figueroa before coming forward with a new name and age, had his visa approved and is finally expected to travel to the U.S. next week for his Yankees physical.
After serving a one-year suspension for falsifying his identity, DePaula was signed by the Yankees in Nov. 2010, receiving a $500,000 bonus. In the 16 months since, he’s worked out at the Yankees’ academy in the Dominican Republic while attempting to secure a visa.
According to his current documentation, DePaula turns 21 on March 24. Baseball America says he was throwing in the mid-90s when he signed with the Yankees, but it also has sources saying he’s reaching the high-90s with his heater now. If true, he could quickly emerge as one of the team’s best prospects this year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)