Mar 22, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran played zero innings in center field last season, but he was out there for today’s spring training game and the Cardinals are considering giving him some regular season starts.
That may not happen very often early on, but once Allen Craig returns from knee surgery and Matheny wants to get him in the lineup alongside Beltran, Lance Berkman, and Matt Holliday shifting Beltran to center field and Jay to the bench against lefties is an easy solution.
Assuming, of course, that Beltran’s knees hold up at age 34. He won three straight Gold Gloves in 2006-2008, but graded out poorly according to Ultimate Zone Rating in 2009 and 2010 before taking last season off from the position.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)