Mar 22, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran played zero innings in center field last season, but he was out there for today’s spring training game and the Cardinals are considering giving him some regular season starts.
That may not happen very often early on, but once Allen Craig returns from knee surgery and Matheny wants to get him in the lineup alongside Beltran, Lance Berkman, and Matt Holliday shifting Beltran to center field and Jay to the bench against lefties is an easy solution.
Assuming, of course, that Beltran’s knees hold up at age 34. He won three straight Gold Gloves in 2006-2008, but graded out poorly according to Ultimate Zone Rating in 2009 and 2010 before taking last season off from the position.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (183)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)