Mar 22, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
This is not a surprise. Two weeks after he withdrew his application to purchase the San Diego Padres — a withdrawal prompted by baseball’s reluctance to approve his ownership group — Jeff Moorad has stepped down as the Padres’ CEO.
Moorard will remain as Vice Chairman of the club and will be responsible for completing and overseeing the Padres’ new TV deal with Fox Sports San Diego. Current team President & COO Tom Garfinkel will assume the CEO duties on an interim basis.
I guess it’s something to do for Moorad that isn’t, you know, running the team he wanted to buy but couldn’t.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)