Mar 22, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
This is not a surprise. Two weeks after he withdrew his application to purchase the San Diego Padres — a withdrawal prompted by baseball’s reluctance to approve his ownership group — Jeff Moorad has stepped down as the Padres’ CEO.
Moorard will remain as Vice Chairman of the club and will be responsible for completing and overseeing the Padres’ new TV deal with Fox Sports San Diego. Current team President & COO Tom Garfinkel will assume the CEO duties on an interim basis.
I guess it’s something to do for Moorad that isn’t, you know, running the team he wanted to buy but couldn’t.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27