Mar 22, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
Just got this press release. Surprisingly, nowhere on it does it say “dudes, we’re doing this as a baby step towards instituting an international draft:
Major League Baseball will launch a new league that will provide a neutral forum for Major League organizations and scouts to observe the top unsigned amateur players in the Dominican Republic, it was announced today.
In addition to featuring players that will become eligible to sign after July 2nd, the new league will also broaden its focus to include players who are already eligible to sign professional contracts.
I suppose this starts to address the issue of what to do about talent development if teams have no incentive to go out and find players themselves if a draft is instituted. Of course, who goes out and finds which unsigned guys to even put in the league remains an open question.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)