Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Michael Morse‘s odds of being recovered from a lat injury by Opening Day are “dwindling” after the Nationals left fielder received platelet-rich plasma treatment, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Here’s a little more about the platelet-rich plasma treatment from Zuckerman:
A relatively new procedure also referred to as “blood spinning,” in which blood plasma is removed from the body, injected with extra platelets to help the body heal faster and then re-injected into the patient. Yankees star Alex Rodriguez underwent the procedure last winter in Europe, and Orioles pitcher Zach Britton recently had it as well.
Not surprisingly the same people who raise a ruckus about steroids and performance-enhancing drugs took an interest in the relatively new treatment, but Zuckerman notes that last year the World Anti-Doping Agency removed it from its banned list.
Morse has played just three games this spring and manager Davey Johnson admitted that Morse is “more of a candidate to not open the season.” Mark DeRosa is a potential replacement in left field and the Nationals have also recently been using infield prospect Steve Lombardozzi in the outfield for the first time.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)