Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Michael Morse‘s odds of being recovered from a lat injury by Opening Day are “dwindling” after the Nationals left fielder received platelet-rich plasma treatment, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Here’s a little more about the platelet-rich plasma treatment from Zuckerman:
A relatively new procedure also referred to as “blood spinning,” in which blood plasma is removed from the body, injected with extra platelets to help the body heal faster and then re-injected into the patient. Yankees star Alex Rodriguez underwent the procedure last winter in Europe, and Orioles pitcher Zach Britton recently had it as well.
Not surprisingly the same people who raise a ruckus about steroids and performance-enhancing drugs took an interest in the relatively new treatment, but Zuckerman notes that last year the World Anti-Doping Agency removed it from its banned list.
Morse has played just three games this spring and manager Davey Johnson admitted that Morse is “more of a candidate to not open the season.” Mark DeRosa is a potential replacement in left field and the Nationals have also recently been using infield prospect Steve Lombardozzi in the outfield for the first time.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)