Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Michael Morse‘s odds of being recovered from a lat injury by Opening Day are “dwindling” after the Nationals left fielder received platelet-rich plasma treatment, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Here’s a little more about the platelet-rich plasma treatment from Zuckerman:
A relatively new procedure also referred to as “blood spinning,” in which blood plasma is removed from the body, injected with extra platelets to help the body heal faster and then re-injected into the patient. Yankees star Alex Rodriguez underwent the procedure last winter in Europe, and Orioles pitcher Zach Britton recently had it as well.
Not surprisingly the same people who raise a ruckus about steroids and performance-enhancing drugs took an interest in the relatively new treatment, but Zuckerman notes that last year the World Anti-Doping Agency removed it from its banned list.
Morse has played just three games this spring and manager Davey Johnson admitted that Morse is “more of a candidate to not open the season.” Mark DeRosa is a potential replacement in left field and the Nationals have also recently been using infield prospect Steve Lombardozzi in the outfield for the first time.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)