Mar 22, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Mike Gonzalez is one of the best remaining unsigned free agents and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox “are monitoring the Gonzalez market” as they search for left-handed bullpen help.
After a long history of arm problems Gonzalez underwent knee surgery in October, but if healthy he’s an elite left-handed reliever. Gonzalez had 51 strikeouts in 53 innings for the Orioles and Rangers last season and has averaged 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings for his career, which ranks second among all active lefties.
His control can be shaky and it’s understandable that teams were unwilling to offer him a multi-year deal as a free agent, but Gonzalez is capable of getting high-leverage outs versus lefties and righties and obviously his price tag should be plenty reasonable at this point.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)