Mar 22, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Reds closer Ryan Madson has yet to make an appearance in a Cactus League game this spring because of discomfort in his throwing elbow.
And he’s unlikely to debut anytime soon.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Madson was scratched from a scheduled appearance Thursday in a minor league exhibition game with what sounds like renewed elbow issues.
“I don’t know what I can say,” Madson told the Enquirer on Thursday evening in Reds camp. “I don’t like to be like that, but…”
“We’re sorting it out,” general manager Walt Jocketty added. “We’ll let you know.”
Madson signed a one-year, $8.5 million free agent contract with the Reds this winter. If he is unavailable for the start of the regular season, Reds skipper Dusty Baker will likely ask Sean Marshall to act as closer.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)