Mar 22, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Reds closer Ryan Madson has yet to make an appearance in a Cactus League game this spring because of discomfort in his throwing elbow.
And he’s unlikely to debut anytime soon.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Madson was scratched from a scheduled appearance Thursday in a minor league exhibition game with what sounds like renewed elbow issues.
“I don’t know what I can say,” Madson told the Enquirer on Thursday evening in Reds camp. “I don’t like to be like that, but…”
“We’re sorting it out,” general manager Walt Jocketty added. “We’ll let you know.”
Madson signed a one-year, $8.5 million free agent contract with the Reds this winter. If he is unavailable for the start of the regular season, Reds skipper Dusty Baker will likely ask Sean Marshall to act as closer.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)