Mar 22, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
I suppose this applies to everyone by virtue of the new wild card, but for some reason I found it really cute that the Pittsburgh Pirates had someone calculate it:
Team president Frank Coonelly had Dan Fox, the Pirates’ statistical guru, build a computer model to illustrate the impact: The Pirates’ chance of making the playoffs increased 13 percent.
“We’re very much in favor of that,” Coonelly said with a smile.
This reminds me of teenage boys calculating their odds of losing their virginity by analyzing the male-to-female ration of their school. I mean, sure, I suppose that increases the chances of something happening, but there are a hell of a lot more factors in play, ya know?
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120