Mar 22, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweeted a similar report earlier this week, also mentioning the Red Sox as a potential trade partner for the 27-year-old starter.
The Nationals were known to be open to trading Lannan and his $5 million salary earlier this spring, but that was before Chien-Ming Wang suffered a gruesome left hamstring strain that could keep him sidelined for the first month of the regular season.
At the moment Lannan, who registered a 3.70 ERA across 184 2/3 innings in 2011, projects to open the year as Washington’s fifth starter. Ross Detwiler would presumably fill that role if Lannan is traded.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20