Mar 22, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweeted a similar report earlier this week, also mentioning the Red Sox as a potential trade partner for the 27-year-old starter.
The Nationals were known to be open to trading Lannan and his $5 million salary earlier this spring, but that was before Chien-Ming Wang suffered a gruesome left hamstring strain that could keep him sidelined for the first month of the regular season.
At the moment Lannan, who registered a 3.70 ERA across 184 2/3 innings in 2011, projects to open the year as Washington’s fifth starter. Ross Detwiler would presumably fill that role if Lannan is traded.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)