Yasmani Grandal wonders where he fits in Padres’ plans after Nick Hundley extension

Mar 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

yasmani grandal reds

In writing about Nick Hundley‘s contract extension earlier this week I noted that the move blocks top catching prospect Yasmani Grandal’s path to the majors, as he looks likely to be MLB-ready by 2013 at the latest and now Hundley is signed through 2015.

Dan Hayes of the North County Times took it one step further, asking Grandal for his reaction to the Hundley signing:

I’m happy for Hundo. He has worked his butt off to get that deal. I’m looking for the same thing. It doesn’t matter if somebody got a deal or not. You never know what could happen. They could get traded or you could get traded. I’m not only playing for one organization. I’m playing for the 29 others that are out there. That’s one way I see it, and if it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be. If I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.

Certainly a reasonable response, although it does indicate that Grandal indeed feels somewhat blocked by Hundley now. Of course, he knows all about being traded because Grandal was sent from Cincinnati to San Diego as part of the Mat Latos deal.

My guess is that Grandal spends most of this season at Triple-A and then splits time with Hundley in 2013, at which point the Padres will look to make a trade and will probably be shopping Hundley.

1. APBA Guy - Mar 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

If Grandal is a serious catching prospect it won’t be long before the bigger market teams will come sniffing around. You might not see the perennial contenders go after Grandal-they need proven talent. And if Hundley keeps putting up .825 OPS seasons in SD and improving behind the plate, he’s a perfect acquisition target. Last season Hundley was 4th in catcher OPS (min 250 pa) behind Napoli, Avila, and V-Mart.

• paperlions - Mar 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM

When was the last time Hundley managed to play 100 games? Last year was the first time Hundley has been better than a league average hitter, he doesn’t seem likely to maintain last years production (which looks like small sample size variation when you look at both his minor and major league performance) or to stay healthy

Signing Hundley to an extension shouldn’t affect Grandal at all, because he projects to be a far better player and if anyone is going to be traded it would be Hundley…not Grandal.

2. cambodianbreastmilk - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM

As a LOYAL Pad’s fan, these guys make me scream every friggin’ year, but I continue to punish myself and watch as many games as I can. That being said, I want the team to get younger and be more competitive. I can see SD trading Hundley around All Star break, calling up Grandal, and rolling the rest of the year with him and Baker. Grandal, Alonso, and Maybin are a good batch of young talent.

3. vanmorrissey - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Aaron, EXACTLY, you hit it. Hundley won’t play the whole contract a Padre. Once the bigger money kicks in and Grandal is ready, at a lower salary, by by Nick, hello Yasmani. Hundley has turned into a team leader, sure, but he can’t stay on the field long enough and leadership only goes so far.

• micker716 - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Agreed. Baker’s a 1 year rental, Grandal spends the year learning at AAA, and we’re looking at Hundley and Grandal competing in 2013. One will be gone by the end of the season, 2014 at the latest, and he’s going to cost potential trade partners some actual talent.

4. icanspeel - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I don’t see the big deal since it is the catching position. Teams always need 2 catchers on the roster. What if it takes Grandal a few years to really produce? It’s good insurance. Besides, Hundley isn’t being paid THAT much.. If he puts up solid numbers I would bet any team with a catching need would love to take over that contract.

Final take away from World Series