Mar 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
In writing about Nick Hundley‘s contract extension earlier this week I noted that the move blocks top catching prospect Yasmani Grandal’s path to the majors, as he looks likely to be MLB-ready by 2013 at the latest and now Hundley is signed through 2015.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times took it one step further, asking Grandal for his reaction to the Hundley signing:
I’m happy for Hundo. He has worked his butt off to get that deal. I’m looking for the same thing. It doesn’t matter if somebody got a deal or not. You never know what could happen. They could get traded or you could get traded. I’m not only playing for one organization. I’m playing for the 29 others that are out there. That’s one way I see it, and if it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be. If I don’t make it to the big leagues with this club I can make it with any other team.
Certainly a reasonable response, although it does indicate that Grandal indeed feels somewhat blocked by Hundley now. Of course, he knows all about being traded because Grandal was sent from Cincinnati to San Diego as part of the Mat Latos deal.
My guess is that Grandal spends most of this season at Triple-A and then splits time with Hundley in 2013, at which point the Padres will look to make a trade and will probably be shopping Hundley.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 10
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car