Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
Just so you know, I have created a “Bobby Valentine is irked at ____” template for the year. Figure it will save time. Anyway, here is what he’s irked at now:
What could possibly be controversial about a 4-4 tie in spring training? Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine found something, objecting to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi’s decision to tell the umpires his team did not want to play extra innings. Valentine, meanwhile, had instructed reliever Clayton Mortensen to warm up for the 10th.
Valentine said “I didn’t think that was very courteous.” He also disputed Girardi’s claim that he didn’t have any pitchers left, saying “they had plenty of pitching,” and speculating that they just had a long bus ride ahead of them and didn’t want to stay late.
Valentine said that usually the umps will talk about or the manager in Girardi’s position will come over and talk to the guy in Valentine’s, but here he did not.
Eh, OK. if the particular rules of etiquette weren’t followed here, fine, I suppose I can see someone getting mildly upset. I think the far greater travesty, however, is that we’re still playing spring training games and are OK with ties and stuff.
It’s been 80 degrees all week where I am. I want real baseball and beer, not fake baseball and tempests in teapots.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)