Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Just so you know, I have created a “Bobby Valentine is irked at ____” template for the year. Figure it will save time. Anyway, here is what he’s irked at now:
What could possibly be controversial about a 4-4 tie in spring training? Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine found something, objecting to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi’s decision to tell the umpires his team did not want to play extra innings. Valentine, meanwhile, had instructed reliever Clayton Mortensen to warm up for the 10th.
Valentine said “I didn’t think that was very courteous.” He also disputed Girardi’s claim that he didn’t have any pitchers left, saying “they had plenty of pitching,” and speculating that they just had a long bus ride ahead of them and didn’t want to stay late.
Valentine said that usually the umps will talk about or the manager in Girardi’s position will come over and talk to the guy in Valentine’s, but here he did not.
Eh, OK. if the particular rules of etiquette weren’t followed here, fine, I suppose I can see someone getting mildly upset. I think the far greater travesty, however, is that we’re still playing spring training games and are OK with ties and stuff.
It’s been 80 degrees all week where I am. I want real baseball and beer, not fake baseball and tempests in teapots.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)