Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Just so you know, I have created a “Bobby Valentine is irked at ____” template for the year. Figure it will save time. Anyway, here is what he’s irked at now:
What could possibly be controversial about a 4-4 tie in spring training? Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine found something, objecting to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi’s decision to tell the umpires his team did not want to play extra innings. Valentine, meanwhile, had instructed reliever Clayton Mortensen to warm up for the 10th.
Valentine said “I didn’t think that was very courteous.” He also disputed Girardi’s claim that he didn’t have any pitchers left, saying “they had plenty of pitching,” and speculating that they just had a long bus ride ahead of them and didn’t want to stay late.
Valentine said that usually the umps will talk about or the manager in Girardi’s position will come over and talk to the guy in Valentine’s, but here he did not.
Eh, OK. if the particular rules of etiquette weren’t followed here, fine, I suppose I can see someone getting mildly upset. I think the far greater travesty, however, is that we’re still playing spring training games and are OK with ties and stuff.
It’s been 80 degrees all week where I am. I want real baseball and beer, not fake baseball and tempests in teapots.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)