Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
Just so you know, I have created a “Bobby Valentine is irked at ____” template for the year. Figure it will save time. Anyway, here is what he’s irked at now:
What could possibly be controversial about a 4-4 tie in spring training? Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine found something, objecting to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi’s decision to tell the umpires his team did not want to play extra innings. Valentine, meanwhile, had instructed reliever Clayton Mortensen to warm up for the 10th.
Valentine said “I didn’t think that was very courteous.” He also disputed Girardi’s claim that he didn’t have any pitchers left, saying “they had plenty of pitching,” and speculating that they just had a long bus ride ahead of them and didn’t want to stay late.
Valentine said that usually the umps will talk about or the manager in Girardi’s position will come over and talk to the guy in Valentine’s, but here he did not.
Eh, OK. if the particular rules of etiquette weren’t followed here, fine, I suppose I can see someone getting mildly upset. I think the far greater travesty, however, is that we’re still playing spring training games and are OK with ties and stuff.
It’s been 80 degrees all week where I am. I want real baseball and beer, not fake baseball and tempests in teapots.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)