Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Just so you know, I have created a “Bobby Valentine is irked at ____” template for the year. Figure it will save time. Anyway, here is what he’s irked at now:
What could possibly be controversial about a 4-4 tie in spring training? Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine found something, objecting to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi’s decision to tell the umpires his team did not want to play extra innings. Valentine, meanwhile, had instructed reliever Clayton Mortensen to warm up for the 10th.
Valentine said “I didn’t think that was very courteous.” He also disputed Girardi’s claim that he didn’t have any pitchers left, saying “they had plenty of pitching,” and speculating that they just had a long bus ride ahead of them and didn’t want to stay late.
Valentine said that usually the umps will talk about or the manager in Girardi’s position will come over and talk to the guy in Valentine’s, but here he did not.
Eh, OK. if the particular rules of etiquette weren’t followed here, fine, I suppose I can see someone getting mildly upset. I think the far greater travesty, however, is that we’re still playing spring training games and are OK with ties and stuff.
It’s been 80 degrees all week where I am. I want real baseball and beer, not fake baseball and tempests in teapots.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)