Mar 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
The other day Lance Berkman said that Bud Selig “extorted” Jim Crane into moving the Astros to the American League. It was kind of surprising to hear Berkman using such charged language. He seems more like a “gosh, that’d be swell” kind of guy, not the sort of guy who ruffles feathers like that.
Well, he must have thought about it a bit and agrees, because he had a conversation with Selig yesterday and apologized:
“It was a good conversation,” Berkman said Thursday night. “I basically apologized for using the word ‘extortion.’ I had a chance to tell him where I was coming from and he had a chance to explain where he was coming from” … The loquacious Berkman and Selig exchanged views for about 10 minutes. Berkman said the conversation ended amicably after he sensed the commissioner was “a little disappointed and maybe a little hurt” over his usage of a word suggesting a felony.
Why do I get the impression that the “exchange of views” was about 98% Selig explaining to Berkman how the world works and 2% of Berkman saying “yes sir, sorry sir”?
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)