Mar 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
The other day Lance Berkman said that Bud Selig “extorted” Jim Crane into moving the Astros to the American League. It was kind of surprising to hear Berkman using such charged language. He seems more like a “gosh, that’d be swell” kind of guy, not the sort of guy who ruffles feathers like that.
Well, he must have thought about it a bit and agrees, because he had a conversation with Selig yesterday and apologized:
“It was a good conversation,” Berkman said Thursday night. “I basically apologized for using the word ‘extortion.’ I had a chance to tell him where I was coming from and he had a chance to explain where he was coming from” … The loquacious Berkman and Selig exchanged views for about 10 minutes. Berkman said the conversation ended amicably after he sensed the commissioner was “a little disappointed and maybe a little hurt” over his usage of a word suggesting a felony.
Why do I get the impression that the “exchange of views” was about 98% Selig explaining to Berkman how the world works and 2% of Berkman saying “yes sir, sorry sir”?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)