Mar 23, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz has made it through long-toss sessions in each of the last two days after leaving Tuesday’s start against the Cubs due to shoulder stiffness, but the Rangers plan to be extra cautious before clearing him to pitch in a game again.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Feliz will not make his next scheduled start Monday against the Reds. The Rangers haven’t ruled him out for the start of the season, but it’s increasingly unlikely he’ll have enough time to be fully-stretched out. And there’s little reason to take any chances considering he’s making the transition to the starting rotation this spring.
Scott Feldman is now scheduled to make the start Monday and figures to be the stopgap option for the rotation if Feliz is forced to miss the first few weeks of the season. Alexi Ogando has returned to the bullpen, but he could be an option if Feliz’s shoulder issue ends up being more severe than originally believed.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)