Now the Phillies and Chase Utley won’t even talk about his health status

Mar 23, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

utley ap AP

For a while the Phillies tried to downplay the fact that Chase Utley wasn’t playing in any games this spring, insisting that it was being done to keep the second baseman and his bad knees from wearing down during the long season.

Eventually they had to give up that ghost because Utley left camp to be examined by a specialist and has zero chance of being ready for Opening Day, but now that he’s back at spring training today everyone has decided to simply stop giving any information about his status.

Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes that “Ruben Amaro Jr. declined to provide an update” and “Utley declined to make himself available to reporters.”

Across baseball the past few weeks have been filled with teams and players providing “optimistic” updates about injuries that give way to setbacks or further injuries or revealing that … well, they were kind of fibbing in the first place. That’s unfortunately become commonplace, but simply giving media members the silent treatment is a new one.

UPDATE: Gelb passes along word that the Phillies say Utley “will address reporters Sunday.” I’ll go out on a limb and say the news isn’t good, but I suppose we’ll have to wait 48 hours to find out for sure.

1. sgtr0c - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Silent treatment is new to you, when did you start in this business? I am 45, it has been happening to reporters for at least 45 yrs and then, the reporter usually writes a little nasty something to prove their point. It has been happening like this forever dude.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Examples?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Sg: Valid points Sir. But around here…you MUST agree with everything any particular writer posts and/or blogs on HBT.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Wow…you really don’t read many of the comments on here, do you?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

All commenters on here are entitled to their opinion, and they can feel free to express said opinion. Likewise, if somebody feels that that expressed opinion is wrong, the same holds true. If somebody calls you out on something you wrote, it isn’t because you disagreed with the writer, it’s because the commenter disagrees with you. Unless you include something in your comment which is unrelated to the original post or twist the writer’s opinion.

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

It hurts to say “microfracture”. Owwwy. See, they don’t “need” a 2nd baseman if they don’t say it yet. I assume they will say it once they trade for a replacement level infielder. You have much less leverage when you actually “need” something.

3. El Bravo - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Ask his hair, it may be more forthcoming.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Nope. Read below.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM

My comment was sorta’ tongue in cheek Chase. As long as I have been posting on here I thought that would have been assumed. Regardless…I do stand by what I posted.
        Meaning…most people on HBT seem to long stroke the writers (regardless of what is written). Are there some who don’t agree? Absolutely. In fact…those that don’t agree are usually the same people time…and time again.
        But by and large…(IN MY OPINION) most HBT commenters fall all over themselves long stroking and/or slow jacking the writers.

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

His Hair has no comment, either.

5. bennyblanco1 - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I wonder if his physical breakdown over the last few years has been caused by anything in particular…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

All I’ll say is this: have you seen his wife?

• bennyblanco1 - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

No, but I’m sure shes slamming hot. All professional athletes with stats like Utleys’s should just go the Playboy mansion and start kicking game.

Lie Wes Welker did.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

He married his college sweetheart—or is that only reserved for high school?—and yes, she is smoking hot.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

• phillyphreak - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Ironically enough, introduced to each other by Freddie Mitchell….

• phillyphreak - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Interestingly, not ironically …though I guess ironically could work…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM

FredEx!!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

FredEx!!!!!!!!

6. mdpickles - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

That is a dreamy pic of Chase. As a guy who lives his MLB dreams vicariously through Chase, it will be tough to not see him on the field.

• Gobias Industries - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Dear Chase,

I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

-mdpickles

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hahaha! Outstanding Gobias! Well done.

• ame123 - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

stlouis1baseball: go to youtube and type in: “dear chase utley”

7. blabidibla - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM

P Gammons says Just Leave Utley Alone!

8. cleverbob - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hate to say it but the wheels have fallen off. Galvis needs to learn how to wield the stick, quick fast.

9. cup0pizza - Mar 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Well, if they won’t talk about the fact that Utley is toast, there’s not really a need for yet another Phillies non-story, now is there?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM

But then again, is there ever really any need for a cup0pizza comment?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

But there always seems to be a need for a comment from cup0pizza, even if that need dwells solely in cup0pizza’s own mind.

10. mungman69 - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Yes, he’s done. El-Goodbyo

11. eaglesfan723 - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

First off, give the man some respect. He has been playing in Philly his whole career and has never given management a hard time, always been a leader and a perfect role model. He gives it his all and plays hard day in and day out. Because of his hard work and dedication he wore himself out. This could be the end of his career which is very sad. Not many players are stand up like Chase. Here’s hoping he can get his legs back and just have a normal life.

Final take away from World Series