Mar 23, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
For a while the Phillies tried to downplay the fact that Chase Utley wasn’t playing in any games this spring, insisting that it was being done to keep the second baseman and his bad knees from wearing down during the long season.
Eventually they had to give up that ghost because Utley left camp to be examined by a specialist and has zero chance of being ready for Opening Day, but now that he’s back at spring training today everyone has decided to simply stop giving any information about his status.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes that “Ruben Amaro Jr. declined to provide an update” and “Utley declined to make himself available to reporters.”
Across baseball the past few weeks have been filled with teams and players providing “optimistic” updates about injuries that give way to setbacks or further injuries or revealing that … well, they were kind of fibbing in the first place. That’s unfortunately become commonplace, but simply giving media members the silent treatment is a new one.
UPDATE: Gelb passes along word that the Phillies say Utley “will address reporters Sunday.” I’ll go out on a limb and say the news isn’t good, but I suppose we’ll have to wait 48 hours to find out for sure.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)