Mar 23, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
With the Reds still being all hush-hush on his condition, Ryan Madson will travel to Cincinnati to have his ailing elbow examined by Dr. Tim Kremchek on Thursday.
Madson was expected to pitch in a minor league game today, but it was announced last night that he was being scratched. Neither Madson nor team officials have had much to say about the elbow.
“Nothing yet,” manager Dusty Baker said. “He’s won’t be analyzed until tomorrow. He went back to Cincinnati. We won’t know anything until tomorrow.”
Madson looked like one of the bargains of the offseason, signing a one-year deal with the Reds after a four-year pact to stay with the Phillies fell through. If Cincinnati gets bad news tomorrow, it could influence the team’s decision on what to do with Aroldis Chapman. There’s talk that Chapman could be kept as the fifth starter over Homer Bailey, but he may be more attractive as closer insurance if Madson has to miss a chunk of the season.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)