Mar 23, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
With the Reds still being all hush-hush on his condition, Ryan Madson will travel to Cincinnati to have his ailing elbow examined by Dr. Tim Kremchek on Thursday.
Madson was expected to pitch in a minor league game today, but it was announced last night that he was being scratched. Neither Madson nor team officials have had much to say about the elbow.
“Nothing yet,” manager Dusty Baker said. “He’s won’t be analyzed until tomorrow. He went back to Cincinnati. We won’t know anything until tomorrow.”
Madson looked like one of the bargains of the offseason, signing a one-year deal with the Reds after a four-year pact to stay with the Phillies fell through. If Cincinnati gets bad news tomorrow, it could influence the team’s decision on what to do with Aroldis Chapman. There’s talk that Chapman could be kept as the fifth starter over Homer Bailey, but he may be more attractive as closer insurance if Madson has to miss a chunk of the season.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)