Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
This was pretty inevitable, but the Phillies have shipped Domonic Brown to minor league camp.
As Matt Gelb notes, injuries had a lot to do with it. He hurt his hand, his thumb and his neck at various times. Though his less-than-spectacular, albeit short, stints in the bigs didn’t help either. To his credit, Brown seems to have the right attitude about it:
“I’m going to go down there, play hard, and that’s it,” Brown said. “I really don’t have anything else to say. I was not expecting it, but keeping it in the back of my mind.”
Seems to me that his upcoming time with the Iron Pigs is more important to him than any cameos in Philly might. If he can show he’s healthy and can be productive, the prospect shine may come back and Brown may be useful, either with the Phillies, or as a bit of change-of-scenery trade bait.
If not: he’ll be a guy who turns 25 this year who was never quite able to make it over the hump, and will likely have “fourth or fifth outfielder” in his future.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)