Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was pretty inevitable, but the Phillies have shipped Domonic Brown to minor league camp.
As Matt Gelb notes, injuries had a lot to do with it. He hurt his hand, his thumb and his neck at various times. Though his less-than-spectacular, albeit short, stints in the bigs didn’t help either. To his credit, Brown seems to have the right attitude about it:
“I’m going to go down there, play hard, and that’s it,” Brown said. “I really don’t have anything else to say. I was not expecting it, but keeping it in the back of my mind.”
Seems to me that his upcoming time with the Iron Pigs is more important to him than any cameos in Philly might. If he can show he’s healthy and can be productive, the prospect shine may come back and Brown may be useful, either with the Phillies, or as a bit of change-of-scenery trade bait.
If not: he’ll be a guy who turns 25 this year who was never quite able to make it over the hump, and will likely have “fourth or fifth outfielder” in his future.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)