Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was pretty inevitable, but the Phillies have shipped Domonic Brown to minor league camp.
As Matt Gelb notes, injuries had a lot to do with it. He hurt his hand, his thumb and his neck at various times. Though his less-than-spectacular, albeit short, stints in the bigs didn’t help either. To his credit, Brown seems to have the right attitude about it:
“I’m going to go down there, play hard, and that’s it,” Brown said. “I really don’t have anything else to say. I was not expecting it, but keeping it in the back of my mind.”
Seems to me that his upcoming time with the Iron Pigs is more important to him than any cameos in Philly might. If he can show he’s healthy and can be productive, the prospect shine may come back and Brown may be useful, either with the Phillies, or as a bit of change-of-scenery trade bait.
If not: he’ll be a guy who turns 25 this year who was never quite able to make it over the hump, and will likely have “fourth or fifth outfielder” in his future.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)