Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was pretty inevitable, but the Phillies have shipped Domonic Brown to minor league camp.
As Matt Gelb notes, injuries had a lot to do with it. He hurt his hand, his thumb and his neck at various times. Though his less-than-spectacular, albeit short, stints in the bigs didn’t help either. To his credit, Brown seems to have the right attitude about it:
“I’m going to go down there, play hard, and that’s it,” Brown said. “I really don’t have anything else to say. I was not expecting it, but keeping it in the back of my mind.”
Seems to me that his upcoming time with the Iron Pigs is more important to him than any cameos in Philly might. If he can show he’s healthy and can be productive, the prospect shine may come back and Brown may be useful, either with the Phillies, or as a bit of change-of-scenery trade bait.
If not: he’ll be a guy who turns 25 this year who was never quite able to make it over the hump, and will likely have “fourth or fifth outfielder” in his future.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)