Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
This was pretty inevitable, but the Phillies have shipped Domonic Brown to minor league camp.
As Matt Gelb notes, injuries had a lot to do with it. He hurt his hand, his thumb and his neck at various times. Though his less-than-spectacular, albeit short, stints in the bigs didn’t help either. To his credit, Brown seems to have the right attitude about it:
“I’m going to go down there, play hard, and that’s it,” Brown said. “I really don’t have anything else to say. I was not expecting it, but keeping it in the back of my mind.”
Seems to me that his upcoming time with the Iron Pigs is more important to him than any cameos in Philly might. If he can show he’s healthy and can be productive, the prospect shine may come back and Brown may be useful, either with the Phillies, or as a bit of change-of-scenery trade bait.
If not: he’ll be a guy who turns 25 this year who was never quite able to make it over the hump, and will likely have “fourth or fifth outfielder” in his future.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)