There is a museum devoted to Ichiro. And it’s run by his mom.

Mar 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

suzuki_ichiro

Geoff Baker is in Japan, getting ready for the season-opening series between the Mariners and A’s.  He got there a couple of days before the team and has been doing so sightseeing. One thing he saw: the Ichiro museum.  It’s right in front of his parents’ house. And his mom and dad run it. And they saved everything:

There are family photographs of 1-month-old Ichiro Suzuki being held by his grandmother, of Ichiro on a sixth-grade field trip, of Ichiro pony riding with his father at a local racetrack. And then, there is the desk Ichiro used to do his homework in elementary school.

The desk has been set up with a mannequin — depicting a younger Ichiro — sitting at a chair with a jacket with a Men’s Vache Club label tossed over it.

That’s … special.  I can only imagine what would happen if Ichiro himself came into the place an toured it.  It would probably be something like this.

1. phukyouk - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ichiro is a blogger?

2. shaggylocks - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

My parents have something like that for me. It’s called “my old bedroom.”

• nolanwiffle - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Museum? Pfffftt….my old bedroom is a shrine.

3. mybrunoblog - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Ichiro mon keep the museum running smoothly and Ichiro himself focuses on hitting .240 with no power.

• nogoodtomedead - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Ummmmmm……. he’s a .326 career hitter (with no power)

• Bill - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

“mybrunoblog” is a really strange username for Jon Heyman to have picked.

4. frankenderek - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Old. Espn did a long article on this years ago. ::yawn::

• El Bravo - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I must of missed that. Good thing Craig reposted then for the rest of us.

• IdahoMariner - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

More like, good thing geoff (i am the rudest canadian you will ever meet) baker jumped at the chance to bag on Ichiro again. I’m pretty sure Ichiro must’ve done something absolutely horrible to him in a past life.

• IdahoMariner - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ok, I take that back. My apologies to Geoff baker, because he wrote an actually bias-free article. Maybe he’s mellowing.

Herman on the other hand, is still heyman.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I thought Don Cherry was the rudest Canadian? He’s getting old, but he’s still a brusque bugger.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

no wonder they say this guy is clubhouse cancer

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3299)