Mar 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Geoff Baker is in Japan, getting ready for the season-opening series between the Mariners and A’s. He got there a couple of days before the team and has been doing so sightseeing. One thing he saw: the Ichiro museum. It’s right in front of his parents’ house. And his mom and dad run it. And they saved everything:
There are family photographs of 1-month-old Ichiro Suzuki being held by his grandmother, of Ichiro on a sixth-grade field trip, of Ichiro pony riding with his father at a local racetrack. And then, there is the desk Ichiro used to do his homework in elementary school.
The desk has been set up with a mannequin — depicting a younger Ichiro — sitting at a chair with a jacket with a Men’s Vache Club label tossed over it.
That’s … special. I can only imagine what would happen if Ichiro himself came into the place an toured it. It would probably be something like this.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27