Whoa: Joba Chamberlain’s life was in danger following his ankle dislocation

Mar 23, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Joba chamberlain throwing

I think we need to stop with the Joba on the trampoline jokes. This stuff was serious, people. And if you’re squeamish, you may not want to even ready this:

Joba Chamberlain lost so much blood Thursday when he hurt his ankle while playing with his son that there initially was concern for his life, a Yankees’ source said … When Chamberlain was hurt, bone was sticking out of his ankle and he was bleeding profusely, a team source said. Paramedics were called and Chamberlain was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

This is just awful. And the compound nature of the injury means that he is at risk for infection and, by virtue of facing the possibility of multiple surgeries, the odds of complications increase.

1. jfk69 - Mar 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM

First i wish Joba a healthful recovery. Two years ago a major leagie player hit a game winning homer,trotted around the bases and jumped on home plate and broke his ankle. Molina will try and play his first regular sesaon game this year. This is no joke and for a pitcher who needs his legs to be effective. This could be a career ender.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Morales, actually…but good comment.

2. aceshigh11 - Mar 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM

As I said in the other thread:

Jumping on a trampoline is about as innocuous an activity as you can engage in.

It’s not like he was skydiving or off-roading. He could have screwed his ankle up JOGGING, for god’s sake.

This is just a freak accident, and I feel bad for him. Never thought I’d say that as a Sox fan, but that just sucks, no two ways about it.

3. jmig320 - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Those lower leg injuries can be particularly gruesome….especially open dislocations.

Speedy recovery to ya, joba!

4. jmig320 - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Thank God we don’t have video….seeing the video of joe theismann’s tib/fib injury is enough to make ya puke…

5. dondiego27 - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I hope he gets better quick….but, I do not feel sorry for him. An athlete has to care for his body on and off the field, during play season, and off season. Too many have lost the opportunity to acquire success and the incomes it can bring by being careless, no, reckless, during off time.

6. raysfan1 - Mar 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I agree with cur68, this is likely a career threatening injury. An open fracture/dislocation is very likely to result in post-traumatic arthritis. It is possible that he could have have the ankle fused. If so, he won’t have his normal range of motion and thus won’t be able to push off the rubber the way he normally does. Here’s praying for no osteomyelitis, no pulmonary emboli, or any other serious complication that could make his situation even worse.

7. leftywildcat - Mar 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

While he should not have been on a trampoline for couple of reasons, it’s time to stop the fat jokes and pray for the man’s full recovery.

For the past couple of weeks, HBT unfortunately has been little more than a HB Injury Report.

8. phillyfan21 - Mar 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

In May 2011 I had an accident where I fell about 13ft and landed on my left leg crushing my ankle and causing a compound fracture of my tibula/fibula. They flew me by helicopter to the hospital because they thought I may have severed an artery. I had 3 operations to repair the ankle and leg, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and could not put any weight on it for 3 months. As of today I still walk with pain and a slight limp, my balance on my left leg is not great, I can not even attept to run. Arthritis is already setting in and fusing the ankle is a real possibility down the road. My range of motion is only at about 60%, this after months of rehab. His injury sounds very similar to mine and while I am older then him his recovery will be long and painful. I fear his career is in jeopardy. Such a shame!! I wish him luck and pray he can recovery fully.

• kineahora - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

As I just posted above–be careful:

1) One’s personal experience are often not translatable because when one doesn’t know all the details that matter, one doesn’t realize that your own injury may be far different from one someone else suffered, even if it SOUNDS the same the details matter bigtime.

2) When we hear of a sports injury it is often very sketchily reported. Details are missing and on some occasions, we simply do not know the type of injury at all, like in this case. It was initially reported he had an open fracture with serious blood loss and immediate open reduction surgery; now Joba is saying he had no fracture at all, but a closed subtalar dislocation. To put it mildly this is a far different injury than the tib-fib fracture I believe you are describing in yourself (BTW do you mean compound as in open, or do you mean comminuted, or both?)

By the way, my sympathies to you–best of luck on continued recovery; as I had said above, tib-fib fractures tend to have some trouble healing, and I recall a colleague in his 20′s with this type of fracture who was in external fixation for practically a year and the recovery was very protracted.

9. uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

For what it’s worth I just read an article on Yahoo Sports about Joba it’s an update that was posted about 30 minutes ago Noon ET March 24.

Here is the link:http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkEXFcWLfUy5DlXGlopU1jgRvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-chamberlain

I’ve copied and pasted below one very interesting piece in the article and I quote:
    “Chamberlain had surgery Thursday night. The 6-foot-2, 240-pound righty was working his way back from elbow ligament replacement surgery and was expected to return in June….”
    the article went on to say “Chamberlain also told Cashman he could be back on a mound by July. Cashman did not have the results Saturday morning on Chamberlain’s MRI exam and CT scan, which were done on Friday.”

“That’s what he told me the doctors are telling him,” Cashman said. “We’ll see. I don’t know. I’m just passing on what he said, and hopefully that’s all accurate. That’s the optimistic side. I don’t think anybody can tell anybody directly right now anything on that.”
    “In January, Chamberlain agreed to a one-year contract for $1,675,000, up from $1.4 million last year. The deal was not guaranteed.”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet