Whoa: Joba Chamberlain’s life was in danger following his ankle dislocation

Mar 23, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Joba chamberlain throwing

I think we need to stop with the Joba on the trampoline jokes. This stuff was serious, people. And if you’re squeamish, you may not want to even ready this:

Joba Chamberlain lost so much blood Thursday when he hurt his ankle while playing with his son that there initially was concern for his life, a Yankees’ source said … When Chamberlain was hurt, bone was sticking out of his ankle and he was bleeding profusely, a team source said. Paramedics were called and Chamberlain was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

This is just awful. And the compound nature of the injury means that he is at risk for infection and, by virtue of facing the possibility of multiple surgeries, the odds of complications increase.

1. nokoolaidcowboy - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hope you have a speedy recovery! Hopefully the kid will be alright after witnessing this.

• florida727 - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Obviously life is more important than sport, but it would be a shame if something like this ended his career. I mean, what the heck, all he was trying to do was play with his kid, something we all enjoy doing.

• SmackSaw - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

How do you know his kid? You enjoy playing with him? There’s a group of people who do?

• bigleagues - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Mike Francessa pronounces his name “Jobber” – which is appropriate.

2. CJ - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Agreed.

This can’t be good for business either, would you want to jump around in a bloodsained trampoline park? Me neither.

3. phukyouk - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

hope he gets better quick and can play again at some point

4. kopy - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

It’s going to be awhile before I can look at a trampoline normally again.

5. El Bravo - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Wait what? I thought he dislocated…he broke his ankle? Compound fracture? Holy shit, that’s one unlucky douchenozzle.

• CJ - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

we’ll need a medical professional to confirm, but if you fracture something so bad it almost falls off, could that also be considered “dislocated”??? I mean it certainly isn’t located I guess.

Still if there was blood squirting everywhere like it sounds there was, whoever leaked the “dislocation” thing is pretty clueless, it seems.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I work in the operating room, you can dislocate your ankle AND fracture the tibia and/or fibula. It looks nasty when they hold up the leg to scrub it before surgery and the foot is flopping all around.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

If I was a betting man, I think his career is done. His range-of-motion will be decreased and his ligament damage will be too severe to handle him pushing off of the rubber. I hope he did not blow his earnings thus far.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I dont work in an ER to and I agree with what CJ says.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I second joeflaco there. That’s not just a dislocated ankle, that mo-fo is broken, too. It’s virtually impossible to dislocate it without breaking the end of the tibia. In fact, if my hazy recollection serves, breaks are in the malleoli and/or of the back of the tibia. This is because the ankle’s ligaments are, mostly, stronger than the bones.

So its blood loss, infection, significant damage to the joint, the joint will probably never fully recover, and its a virtual lock for early arthritis, too. Poor Joba: this could mean his career.

• El Bravo - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Man, I have to rescind his addition to the Douchenozzle list. This is just too much for me to bear. Compassion must be considered for this incident b/c the joke is no longer funny given these circumstances. There it is, Joba, you are no longer a DN. Just one really unlucky motherfucker. Sorry bro.

• illegalblues - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

you can have a dislocation so bad the skin breaks. the bone is probably intact but a complete tear of the ligament tissue would let the bone completely out of it’s socket. if that happens, the force of the injury very well could break the skin wall.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Just did a little research to check up on my hazy recollections and illegalblues there is right: you can pop it loose without the breaks BUT that’s relatively uncommon. Given the bleeding, I’d say breaks too but who care either way? The outcome is the same: bad news for Joba, even worse it happened in front of his kid.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

He probably tore an artery when the bone was making it’s way to the surface of the skin.

• 24missed - Mar 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Medical professionals, thank you for the explanation. I had used my Merck Manual and other medical research out there for the geeky research people like me, but ’twas perfectly explained. A sincere thank you. It really helps to get a grasp on the actual medical situation and portrait that is being painted, in my eyes. So, thanks for teaching me something new today.

Sideline…so sorry for Joba. That completely blows. It happened and the past can’t be changed. I wish for his family a speedy recovery, as well as for Joba. That emotional roller-coaster has got to be a tough ride.

• 24missed - Mar 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Edit:
        I meant to add a special thanks, Cur, for your prof. med insight. Author, medicine man? Just what are you?

• kineahora - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

So here’s some (correct) terminology for y’all. I am a radiologist.

COMPOUND FRACTURE: Older term for a fracture in which one of the fragments penetrates the skin (thus introducing risk of infection). The newer term is “Open fracture”. I think they discontinued “Compound” because it confused people into thinking it had to do with the complexity of the fracture, which it doesn’t. Closed fractures don’t penetrate the skin.

COMMINUTED fracture: This refers to a fracture in which the bone is in several pieces; I think it is this that people used to confuse “compound” with.

DISLOCATION: This refers to loss of integrity of a JOINT. One can have dislocation without a fracture, and fracture without a joint dislocation. Though in the case of an ankle dislocation, it rarely occurs without a fracture, because the joint ligaments and interosseous membrane of the lower leg are very strong, and are very rarely disrupted without sufficient force to break at least one involved bone.

DISPLACEMENT: This refers to distance between the fracture fragments and doesn’t really have anything to do with joint dislocation. Obviously there was significant displacement of Joba’s fracture, because one of the fragments went through the skin (Open, or Compound).
        ________________

Blood loss: We are told he had “significant blood loss” and “profuse bleeding”, which strongly suggests one of the fracture fragments severed one of the three major arteries in the area–the peroneal artery, the posterior tibial artery, or less likely, the interior tibial artery.

Prognosis: As I ‘m not an orthopedist, I don’t know this, but there will be (A) Infection risk, which as you sports fans know, became a big issue with Barry Bonds’ knee, (B) Definitely some ligament damage. I speculate that if he doesn’t become infected, he will have a decent chance at a real recovery, because I’m not that cognizant of ankle injuries ending pitchers’ careers (please correct me on this any of you who can point out examples, or are orthopedic surgeons). Something like the kind of stuff Johan Santana went through will be much more serious as it’s his pitching shoulder, and he seems to be doing well. Elbow injuries of the sort Joba also has, of course, have a history of doing very well after surgery.

p.s. Glad he did this playing with his kid, as the media were ready to rip him to shreds for “lifestyle issues”. Totally unfair.

• kineahora - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

p.p.s

I just realized after posting that we haven’t been told exactly which bone(s) were broken. Obviously this will affect the prognosis:

A simple noncomminuted distal FIBULAR fracture is a whole lot better than a comminuted fracture of the TIBIA and fibula, particularly with intra-articular involvement, which tend not to heal as well, especially with obvious arterial damage…

And sorry for the typo–the thirr major artery is the ANTERIOR tibial (not “interior”).

• kineahora - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM

p.p.s.

A lesson for us all:

He is now totally denying the initial reports I heard RE: compound (open) fracture, and in fact fracture of any sort– He is now saying he had merely a subtalar dislocation.

This is totally different–really more of a hindfoot than an ankle injury and involves rupture of different ligaments connecting the talus and calcaneus. Sounds like this one did not require open reduction (surgery), and without associated fracture, putting it in a better category.

BTW, Wheeless is an excellent source for orthopedic injury issues.

I think the chances of career-threatening injury have gone way down.

6. makjak2 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Hopefully his career isn’t in jeopardy too.

7. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Do we have to stop with the jokes? I mean, it sucks, but there was still plenty of Curt Schilling-related material to work with.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM

8. The Baseball Idiot - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

At first I thought you meant his life was in danger from angry Yankee fans, then I did something silly and actually read the entire post before commenting.

9. mybrunoblog - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Joba’s kid must have freaked seeing that. Too bad.
    On a more positive note the red sox have sent multiple buckets of fried chicken along with a a few cases of pabts blue ribbon to make the healing more enjoyable.

10. joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Instead of winng the Cy Young award, he’ll be winng the Egg Foo Young award at the local chinese buffet(s).

11. astrosfan75956 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Glad the writer of this article is the morality police. I will laugh at whatever I want, including a fat dude getting hurt on a trampoline.

• CliffC - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Good, glad you got that out. Now go enjoy your 12 wins this year.

• florida727 - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

12? Who’d they pick up to improve their roster?

• Gobias Industries - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Wow, you’re just a regular James Dean, ain’t ya?

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

At least El Bravo doesn’t have to look very far to replace Joba in “The Douchenozzle List”

• hammyofdoom - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I may not be a morality officer myself, but I know that laughing at a man nearly dying in front of his child makes you a bad person

12. Gobias Industries - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

“And if you’re squeamish, you may not want to even read this.”

You horrible sonofabitch, don’t you know that this is just another way of saying READ THIS! READ THIS!! READ THIS!!! And so I did. And now here I am cleaning up my lunch which I just threw up all over my brand new carpet.

• yankeesgameday - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Just grab some teamocil to take the edge off

13. randygnyc - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Local media calling this career threatening and Brian Cashman also acknowledged as much. Get well soon, joba.

14. iranuke - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Yep, trampolines are dangerous.

15. tgeth27 - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Other baseball players have had similar injuries and have come back to play. Jason Kendall almost did that same exact thing except he was running out a ground ball.

16. mianfr - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Poor Joba.

He’s really kind of a tragic figure in baseball, despite the whole charming appeal of being a professional and fairly famous athlete. I mean his mom has the whole meth thing, his father is his real bond in life, he finally settles into a solid role after being jerk around for a few years after instant stardom only to blow out his arm and then once it looks like he’s ready to come back from that, this happens.

You really have to feel bad for the guy.

17. buffalomafia - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Joba sucks anyway!

18. jason1214 - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Its called “fate” Joba………now go back to Nebraska. And don’t give me a thumbs down cause of the whole “c’mon its his kid on a trampoline”……….cause if you are a professional athlete you should be smart enough to know to what activities could get you injured and end your career.
    Trampolines cause thousands of injuries (some cases worse, like death) a year, big reason why homeowners insurance is expensive as sh*t if you have one.

19. rooney24 - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Sorry, I hope he heals up and gets better. But, what an idiot!! When someone pays you millions of dollars to do a job that requires you to stay healthy and unhurt, you have to accept that you cannot partake in certain risky activities. That is the “price” you pay to make millions. Typical large ego athlete mentality that they are bulletproof and don’t avoid dangerous activities. Depending on the wording in his contract, there is a possibility that it could cost him money as well if there were any kind of dangerous activity clauses in there.

20. cup0pizza - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM

El Bravo is a vulgar idiot. As far as Joba, wish him a good recovery that sounds terrible.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Does anybody else find it amusing that cup0pizza is calling somebody else a vulgar idiot? Anyway, hopefully he can recover enough to at least be able to play with his kids without chronic pain. Pitching again would be a bonus at this point really.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

The pain will be exacerbated by cold, damp weather. Ankle pain is as weather oriented as any other bone in the body.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM

‘Army, the balls on ‘0pizza to make that statement on this board, given how often he’s been knocked for being a total fucktard, defy description.

‘0pizza, you suck more than anything or anyone has ever sucked. Don’t for one second think that anyone who reads this board even semi-regularly believes you are anything other than a vulgar idiot. El Bravo’s got a better sense of humour on his worst day than you have on your best (and that includes even if your best day involves you volunteering to being stomped by circus clowns: which would be hilarious and oh so appropriate).

21. Walk - Mar 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I have to periodically go through first responder training. About ten years back the terminology changed from compound to open or closed fracture. More recently the material i have been given to study has taken to calling it a displaced or non displaced fracture. Just interesting to not the change in terminology and the way it dates us. Back on subjesct i had assumed joba dislocated the ankle as reported and the missing year part was going to be torn ligaments or such but after hearing this latest news i am deeply saddened by his family’s ordeal. Hopefully he gets better without complications, best wishes to the family, and i think a prayer is in order after typing this.

22. hammyofdoom - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Oh holy shit, wasn’t expecting to hear that. I never let sport allegiances get in the way of caring about people, and I really do hope that Joba gets back to the way he was before this injury sometime soon. Best of luck Joba

23. jimeejohnson - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

He should have learned how to use a trampoline safely, because many of us and our kids have used trampolines for years without serious injury. When you are Chamberlain’s size it is critical to have some instruction beforehand. The gruesome nature of this injury will make recovery very difficult, and the odds are against him ever getting back. Brutal!

24. poprox13 - Mar 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Wow, this story has a lot of ups and downs.

25. pisano - Mar 23, 2012 at 7:38 PM

File him under the Nick Johnson page, it’s one thing after another for Joba. I agree with two post on this matter, one, what in hell is he effing around on a trampoline for, kid or no kid, and two, I’d say he will never be the same physically again, and for a power pitcher your lower body is where you get your power. Joba, I’d look for another career.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3752)