Mar 24, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Buster Posey was involved in a play at the plate last night for the first time since he suffered a broken leg and torn ankle ligaments in a collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins last May 25.
Rangers’ shortstop Elvis Andrus singled into center field and center fielder Angel Pagan made a strong throw to the plate. Posey positioned himself a couple feet in front of home plate to receive the throw and made a lunging swipe tag at a sliding Mitch Moreland. The runner was ruled safe, but most importantly, Posey made it through the play unscathed.
While it was an important hurdle to cross, Posey told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he was mostly focused on his technique.
“I was more thinking kind of about the work we’d done this spring and all the practice and stuff,” Posey said. “And I think … I think it was good.”
Reflecting on Posey’s collision with Cousins is inevitable and it will likely be brought up every time a runner is bearing down on him this season and perhaps for longer, but hopefully we’ll get to the day where plays at the plate become routine again.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)