Chipper Jones needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee

Mar 24, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT

Chipper Jones AP AP

Chipper Jones‘ final season isn’t getting off to the most promising start.

According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Jones will undergo arthroscopic surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Interestingly, Bowman hears that the 39-year-old third baseman suffered the injury running in the outfield Thursday just before he announced his intention to retire following the 2012 season.

Jones had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee last year and only missed around three weeks, so the hope is that he’ll be ready for the home opener against the Brewers on April 13.

Martin Prado is likely to fill in at third base during his absence while Eric Hinske and Matt Diaz figure to share playing time in left field.

1. cur68 - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM

*sigh*…get well soon, Larry.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM

This is clearly a Curt Schillingesque money grab by Larry. Schilling knew going into Spring training he was not healthy enough to play but still showed up to cash pay checks.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oops. Combination of my ADHD and failure of meds to kick in soon enough I did not read the whole piece to see that he hurt it yesterday. My desire to be cynical in a forum where you can’t be confronted face to face out weighs my desire to be rational.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Ok, no approval for the “forum where you can’t be confronted face to face” but BIG props for the honesty. Clearly you are not a politician.

2. mybrunoblog - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Wow. First the retirement news now this. Hooters girls everywhere are bummed out.

• cranbery - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Why do you feel you have to be rude……….he is the Best Player Ever!

• mercyflush - Mar 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

he is?

• dondada10 - Mar 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

He’s not even the best Brave ever.

3. cranbery - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I will be keeping Chipper in my prayers………..I have been down since I heard of his retirement…………now this.

As my son says “Mom, he can’t play forever”!
    He is the last of the Braves for me……………Love Ya, Chipper!

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Now your just being silly. You are praying for someone to keep playing a freaking game

• paperlions - Mar 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

In fairness, it’ll be just as effective as praying for something meaningful.

4. buffalomafia - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM

As I said before, Braves management try to get David Wright ASAP!

• bleedgreen - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yeah! They need TWO 3rd basemen on IR so Marin Prado can STILL fill in!

• xmatt0926x - Mar 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

buffalo, please read up on the Braves ownership and revise your thinking. Unless Wright decides to play for the minimum it aint happening.

5. carolinakid - Mar 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Ugggg being old Sux

6. Old Gator - Mar 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM

And at this point in his career, he’s going to endure the surgery and the rehab and try to come back and finish out the season, because he’s committed himself to it. What a magnificent old warhorse. Hat’s off to ya, Chipper.

• xmatt0926x - Mar 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Not a braves fan and Chipper has always mashed my team but I concur because as a late 30’s guy myself I hate seeing the players from the early to mid 90’s fade away.

7. buffalomafia - Mar 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Bring back Ted Turner!

You need a third baseman! Get David Wright!

8. Walk - Mar 25, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Braves have third base covered, unfortunately he plays second. But good news we got a good second baseman too, but he is in left, umm wait now third, but we got one, somewhere.

9. bbil2012 - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Just goes to show you,you don’t have to be a nice guy to tear your meniscus.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate