Mar 24, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
Wright has been taking batting practice off a pitching machine since Thursday and will face a live pitcher Sunday for the first time this spring. If that goes well, he should have no restrictions going forward.
Wright has been taking it slowly in Mets camp since tearing his rectus abdominis (an abdominal muscle) in early March. But he should be fine for the start of the regular season if he can avoid further setbacks.
Wright, 29, batted .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs and 61 RBI in 102 games last season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)