Mar 24, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
Wright has been taking batting practice off a pitching machine since Thursday and will face a live pitcher Sunday for the first time this spring. If that goes well, he should have no restrictions going forward.
Wright has been taking it slowly in Mets camp since tearing his rectus abdominis (an abdominal muscle) in early March. But he should be fine for the start of the regular season if he can avoid further setbacks.
Wright, 29, batted .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs and 61 RBI in 102 games last season.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)