Mar 24, 2012, 8:34 PM EST
Wright has been taking batting practice off a pitching machine since Thursday and will face a live pitcher Sunday for the first time this spring. If that goes well, he should have no restrictions going forward.
Wright has been taking it slowly in Mets camp since tearing his rectus abdominis (an abdominal muscle) in early March. But he should be fine for the start of the regular season if he can avoid further setbacks.
Wright, 29, batted .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs and 61 RBI in 102 games last season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)