Mar 24, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
Wright has been taking batting practice off a pitching machine since Thursday and will face a live pitcher Sunday for the first time this spring. If that goes well, he should have no restrictions going forward.
Wright has been taking it slowly in Mets camp since tearing his rectus abdominis (an abdominal muscle) in early March. But he should be fine for the start of the regular season if he can avoid further setbacks.
Wright, 29, batted .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs and 61 RBI in 102 games last season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)