Justin Morneau homers twice in Grapefruit League game

Mar 24, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT

justin morneau ap AP

Finally, some signs of life from Justin Morneau.

As noted by beat writer Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, the Twins first baseman hit a two-run homer, a three-run homer and drew a walk Saturday in a 19-4 Grapefruit League win over the Rays.

Morneau, who has struggled with post-concussion syndrome for close to two years, entered the game with a rough .108/.175/.135 spring batting line. Perhaps the outburst of power will give him some confidence heading into the regular season.

The 30-year-old hit just .227/.285/.333 with four home runs and 30 RBI in 69 games last season.

1. Bryz - Mar 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Minor thing: The headline should be “Grapefruit League.”

This is a nice thing to see. I’m a little hesitant to say that his swing is back, but we should see within the next couple days.

2. cur68 - Mar 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Oh man, this is sweet. It is my contention that my fellow Son of Beaverdom has had too many concussions and his playing days are over. This is the first sign that I’m wrong. Here’s hoping I continue to be wrong and wronger. Good luck JM. Beaver Power!

3. randygnyc - Mar 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Justin morneau is made of…… Glass.

4. docktorellis - Mar 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I know it’s just one game, but as a Twins fan who has suffered five concussions myself, this news put a hell of a smile on my face.

5. Chris K - Mar 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m in Morneau’s corner the whole way as a fellow Canadian, but can we seriously expect pitchers to not try to intimidate him with high and inside stuff? Fans better hope he’s stupid and will put his life in jeopardy in exchange for his ball career. Could you imagine if the generally beloved Bob Gibson were still in the league?

6. mikeincmn - Mar 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Eh, its encouraging to a degree I suppose, but as a twins fan I’m still quite cautious about any optimistic news regarding Justin. I suppose its been good he by all reports has had no health problems related to his concussion thus far, but he also hasn’t played healthy and consistently for a year and a half now. I gotta believe its gonna take some time for him to get his timing back.

I still believe we are headed for a fourth place finish and that’s me being bullish about this years team.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto