Mar 24, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Matt Bush made his first court appearance earlier today since being arrested Thursday evening in Florida on charges of driving under the influence, leaving the scene of a crash involving property damage, failure to stop and remain at a crash involving an injury, driving with a suspended license and DUI with serious bodily injury to another. According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune, his bail has been set at the hefty sum of $1.015 million.
Bush, a former No. 1 overall pick of the Padres in 2004, was driving an SUV on Thursday afternoon when he struck the back of a motorcycle driven by 72-year-old Tony Tufano. The 26-year-old fled the scene of the crash and was arrested 30 minutes later. Tufano remains in an intensive care unit at an area hospital with multiple injuries.
Bush’s attorney, Russell T. Kirshy, expected the judge to set a high bond, but argued that the former top prospect qualifies as being indigent (or poor) because he made $78,000 last season while pitching in Double-A and that he has only $2,000 in his bank account. That’s a tough sell.
Kirshy also told the judge that the Rays were trying to make arrangements for Bush to undergo a 72-hour hospital stay before entering a rehab program, but that request was denied. His arraignment is currently scheduled for May 21.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (203)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)