Mar 24, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Matt Bush made his first court appearance earlier today since being arrested Thursday evening in Florida on charges of driving under the influence, leaving the scene of a crash involving property damage, failure to stop and remain at a crash involving an injury, driving with a suspended license and DUI with serious bodily injury to another. According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune, his bail has been set at the hefty sum of $1.015 million.
Bush, a former No. 1 overall pick of the Padres in 2004, was driving an SUV on Thursday afternoon when he struck the back of a motorcycle driven by 72-year-old Tony Tufano. The 26-year-old fled the scene of the crash and was arrested 30 minutes later. Tufano remains in an intensive care unit at an area hospital with multiple injuries.
Bush’s attorney, Russell T. Kirshy, expected the judge to set a high bond, but argued that the former top prospect qualifies as being indigent (or poor) because he made $78,000 last season while pitching in Double-A and that he has only $2,000 in his bank account. That’s a tough sell.
Kirshy also told the judge that the Rays were trying to make arrangements for Bush to undergo a 72-hour hospital stay before entering a rehab program, but that request was denied. His arraignment is currently scheduled for May 21.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)