Mar 24, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Matt Bush made his first court appearance earlier today since being arrested Thursday evening in Florida on charges of driving under the influence, leaving the scene of a crash involving property damage, failure to stop and remain at a crash involving an injury, driving with a suspended license and DUI with serious bodily injury to another. According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune, his bail has been set at the hefty sum of $1.015 million.
Bush, a former No. 1 overall pick of the Padres in 2004, was driving an SUV on Thursday afternoon when he struck the back of a motorcycle driven by 72-year-old Tony Tufano. The 26-year-old fled the scene of the crash and was arrested 30 minutes later. Tufano remains in an intensive care unit at an area hospital with multiple injuries.
Bush’s attorney, Russell T. Kirshy, expected the judge to set a high bond, but argued that the former top prospect qualifies as being indigent (or poor) because he made $78,000 last season while pitching in Double-A and that he has only $2,000 in his bank account. That’s a tough sell.
Kirshy also told the judge that the Rays were trying to make arrangements for Bush to undergo a 72-hour hospital stay before entering a rehab program, but that request was denied. His arraignment is currently scheduled for May 21.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)