Mar 24, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
We’ve seen renewed speculation over the past 24 hours that the Cardinals could make a run at Roy Oswalt now that Chris Carpenter is sidelined indefinitely due to nerve irritation in his shoulder. While that may still happen, it appears that a surprise team has entered the mix.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM reported in the wee small hours of the morning that the Angels have “suddenly” emerged as the frontrunner for Oswalt’s services. He adds that the Red Sox are still in the picture while the Cardinals and Rangers have faded as possible landing spots.
The assumption all winter was that Oswalt preferred to pitch for St. Louis or Texas in order to be closer to his home in Mississippi, but it appears that he’s willing to broaden his scope with a midseason return in mind. As ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick recently noted, Oswalt’s kids will done with school in June, so he could bring his family with him wherever he goes.
The Angels have Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, C.J. Wilson and Ervin Santana leading their rotation, but they don’t have much in the way of quality depth beyond that. Jerome Williams entered spring training as the favorite for the fifth starter gig, but he is working his way back from a hamstring injury. Other possibilities include Garrett Richards, Trevor Bell, Brad Mills and Eric Hurley.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)