Mar 24, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Madson will undergo Tommy John surgery after the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow was found to be “torn off the bone.”
It’s a tough blow for the contending Reds, but even worse luck for Madson, whose market fizzled after his reported four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies fell through. He ended up settling for a one-year, $8.5 million contract with the Reds in January in hopes of testing the open market again next winter. But he’ll undoubtedly have to settle for a modest deal now.
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes, left-hander Sean Marshall is now considered the favorite to close for the Reds. Aroldis Chapman was competing with Homer Bailey and Jeff Francis for the fifth spot in the starting rotation this spring, but he is now expected to move back to the bullpen.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105