Mar 24, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Madson will undergo Tommy John surgery after the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow was found to be “torn off the bone.”
It’s a tough blow for the contending Reds, but even worse luck for Madson, whose market fizzled after his reported four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies fell through. He ended up settling for a one-year, $8.5 million contract with the Reds in January in hopes of testing the open market again next winter. But he’ll undoubtedly have to settle for a modest deal now.
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes, left-hander Sean Marshall is now considered the favorite to close for the Reds. Aroldis Chapman was competing with Homer Bailey and Jeff Francis for the fifth spot in the starting rotation this spring, but he is now expected to move back to the bullpen.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million