Mar 24, 2012, 2:22 PM EST
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Madson will undergo Tommy John surgery after the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow was found to be “torn off the bone.”
It’s a tough blow for the contending Reds, but even worse luck for Madson, whose market fizzled after his reported four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies fell through. He ended up settling for a one-year, $8.5 million contract with the Reds in January in hopes of testing the open market again next winter. But he’ll undoubtedly have to settle for a modest deal now.
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes, left-hander Sean Marshall is now considered the favorite to close for the Reds. Aroldis Chapman was competing with Homer Bailey and Jeff Francis for the fifth spot in the starting rotation this spring, but he is now expected to move back to the bullpen.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)