Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Vogelsong was slowed in the early days of camp due to back spasms and just made his first appearance of the spring yesterday during a minor league game. He threw only 24 pitches and likely won’t be stretched out in time for Opening Day, so Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are considering skipping his first turn in the rotation and starting him when the team first needs a fifth starter on April 15.
“We’re being cautious and he knows that, Bochy said of Vogelsong, who strained his lower back in the weight room in early February. “We’ll take this slow. We’re not going to push him to get him ready for his first start.”
As for Sanchez, he is currently working his way back from season-ending surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder last August. The 34-year-old is expected to make his first start at second base this weekend in a minor league game, but the Giants have given him the option not to throw on ground balls in the hole if he doesn’t feel comfortable.
That doesn’t sound like someone who is anywhere close to ready and Bochy admits there’s a “strong possibility” that Sanchez will begin the year on the disabled list. Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot will likely fill in at second base until he’s ready to go.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)