Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Vogelsong was slowed in the early days of camp due to back spasms and just made his first appearance of the spring yesterday during a minor league game. He threw only 24 pitches and likely won’t be stretched out in time for Opening Day, so Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are considering skipping his first turn in the rotation and starting him when the team first needs a fifth starter on April 15.
“We’re being cautious and he knows that, Bochy said of Vogelsong, who strained his lower back in the weight room in early February. “We’ll take this slow. We’re not going to push him to get him ready for his first start.”
As for Sanchez, he is currently working his way back from season-ending surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder last August. The 34-year-old is expected to make his first start at second base this weekend in a minor league game, but the Giants have given him the option not to throw on ground balls in the hole if he doesn’t feel comfortable.
That doesn’t sound like someone who is anywhere close to ready and Bochy admits there’s a “strong possibility” that Sanchez will begin the year on the disabled list. Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot will likely fill in at second base until he’s ready to go.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)