Mar 24, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain on February 7 while lifting weights at his home and has spent the first month of spring training in rehab mode. But he’s about ready for live action.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Saturday in camp that Voglesong is scheduled to make his Cactus League debut on Monday afternoon against the Royals.
The 34-year-old has been throwing bullpen sessions for over two weeks and felt fine after pitching in minor league camp on Friday. As long as the progress continues, he should be ready to take the mound when the Giants first need a fifth starter on April 15.
Vogelsong registered an impressive 2.71 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 139/61 K/BB ratio across 179 2/3 innings last season. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract extension this winter.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)