Mar 24, 2012, 10:02 PM EST
Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain on February 7 while lifting weights at his home and has spent the first month of spring training in rehab mode. But he’s about ready for live action.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Saturday in camp that Voglesong is scheduled to make his Cactus League debut on Monday afternoon against the Royals.
The 34-year-old has been throwing bullpen sessions for over two weeks and felt fine after pitching in minor league camp on Friday. As long as the progress continues, he should be ready to take the mound when the Giants first need a fifth starter on April 15.
Vogelsong registered an impressive 2.71 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 139/61 K/BB ratio across 179 2/3 innings last season. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract extension this winter.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)