Mar 24, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain on February 7 while lifting weights at his home and has spent the first month of spring training in rehab mode. But he’s about ready for live action.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Saturday in camp that Voglesong is scheduled to make his Cactus League debut on Monday afternoon against the Royals.
The 34-year-old has been throwing bullpen sessions for over two weeks and felt fine after pitching in minor league camp on Friday. As long as the progress continues, he should be ready to take the mound when the Giants first need a fifth starter on April 15.
Vogelsong registered an impressive 2.71 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 139/61 K/BB ratio across 179 2/3 innings last season. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract extension this winter.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)