Mar 24, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Our own Matthew Pouliot recently suggested that the Mets should cut their losses and release Mike Pelfrey, recouping three-quarters of his $5.6875 million salary for 2012. That doesn’t appear likely to happen, but Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com passes along word that the club would like to trade him.
Pelfrey is coming off a 4.74 ERA last season and has a 14.90 ERA over his first three starts this spring, so the Mets would almost certainly have to foot most of the bill. And because the 28-year-old right-hander is projected to get a raise again this winter through the arbitration process, he’s already an obvious non-tender candidate. Similar to the John Lannan situation with the Nationals, it’s unlikely the Mets would get anything of value in return.
The other major factor here is that the Mets have very little in the way of starting pitching depth. The possible alternatives to take his place include the likes of 40-year-old Miguel Batista, Chris Schwinden or Jeremy Hefner. Pelfrey isn’t anything special, but he has averaged 196 innings over the past four seasons. There’s some value there, especially with Johan Santana still a question mark.
Dealing Pelfrey when his value is at its absolute nadir just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, at least for the Mets. If he gets off to a hot start, I could definitely see it. But not now.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)