Mar 25, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that Pirates right-hander A.J. Burnett threw a 40-pitch live batting practice session Saturday in camp, then “raised his arms in celebration” while walking off the field because he felt so good.
Burnett suffered an orbital bone fracture earlier this month while performing bunting drills. He underwent surgery, and was originally projected to miss 8-12 weeks of action. But there’s a chance the 35-year-old will beat that timetable altogether.
Saturday’s live BP session marked Burnett’s third time throwing off a mound since the injury.
“A big step,” Burnett told the Tribune-Review shortly after Saturday’s workout. “I wanted to open some eyes today, so, hopefully, they’ll see that I’m a little bit more ready than they thought. It was a good step in the right direction.”
Burnett was acquired from the Yankees in February for a couple of minor leaguers and cash considerations. He registered a 5.15 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 173/83 K/BB ratio in 190 1/3 innings last year for New York.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)