Mar 25, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that Pirates right-hander A.J. Burnett threw a 40-pitch live batting practice session Saturday in camp, then “raised his arms in celebration” while walking off the field because he felt so good.
Burnett suffered an orbital bone fracture earlier this month while performing bunting drills. He underwent surgery, and was originally projected to miss 8-12 weeks of action. But there’s a chance the 35-year-old will beat that timetable altogether.
Saturday’s live BP session marked Burnett’s third time throwing off a mound since the injury.
“A big step,” Burnett told the Tribune-Review shortly after Saturday’s workout. “I wanted to open some eyes today, so, hopefully, they’ll see that I’m a little bit more ready than they thought. It was a good step in the right direction.”
Burnett was acquired from the Yankees in February for a couple of minor leaguers and cash considerations. He registered a 5.15 ERA, 1.43 WHIP and 173/83 K/BB ratio in 190 1/3 innings last year for New York.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)