Joba Chamberlain released from hospital in wheelchair

Mar 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EST

From Erik Boland of Newsday comes this update on Yankees right-hander Joba Chamberlain, who suffered a life-threatening dislocation of his right ankle Thursday while jumping on a trampoline with his son:

Chamberlain required an emergency ankle procedure, which will tack on another few months to his already-well-underway recovery from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. The 26-year-old reliever is aiming to return to a mound in July, according to the New York Post, with the hope of rejoining the Yankees’ active roster at some point this summer. But both of those goals seem overly optimistic.

1. The Baseball Idiot - Mar 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Everyone gets pushed out a hospital in a wheelchair. It’s the rules.

When I had knee surgery, I got pushed out in a wheel chair.

When I had hernia surgery, I got pushed out in a wheel chair.

When I had surgery on my eye, I got pushed out in a wheel chair.

When I had surgery on my jaw, I got pushed out in a wheel chair.

The only time I didn’t get pushed out of a hospital in a wheelchair was when I had cancerous moles removed, and that was in a clinic in eastern Europe.

So, considering all of that, could you please clarify exactly what your headline meant beyond trying to draw attention to a trivial event?

• Drew Silva - Mar 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It was just, like, information. Dude.

• bbil2012 - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Information?
        New York Post?

Uhh,thanks anyways.

• cup0pizza - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m not really agreeing that what just occurred to Joba was trivial. I think you went to weird hospital where they have extra wheelchairs to use when not really needed, like after jaw surgery,

• gogigantos - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Hospitals, in America, like to make sure you make it out the door without further complications, simple as that. Other places in the world might let you fall on your face before you get out the door.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I can only imagine what they’d use to discharge cup0feces after brain surgery. Probably nothing, having discovered nothing to work on.

• gogigantos - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I refused “emergency” surgery for a clearly broken ankle in the ER and said that I would go home to check with my mother about treatment options before opting for surgery. I was NOT given a wheel chair to get to the car ride home!
      You know what is wrong with foreign countries, don’t you? They are full of foreigners, godfuckingdammit,,,
      same hospital and same ER,,,,
      different accident,,
      I may be prone to some clumsy moments,,,,,
      x-rays showed no break and I had good range of motion in my knee, BUT, I could in no way stand or take weight on the joint. I was told to leave and given a wheeled IV stand to help myself out when I asked for a wheel chair. Three of my friends carried me out.
      Both times I ended up at the hospital across town and am fully ambulatory now, thank you.
      oh, my point was that not all hospitals in the world want to make sure that you get out without falling down when you leave.
      I have another story, and again, a different slip, trip or fall about NOT being admitted to the emergency room with a severely broken left foot flopping around like a dead fish in some other siotyvsiuynsyvforeign country,,,,,,

• rpb1234 - Mar 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I have no idea what you are saying… But I gave u a thumbs up for the sheer quantity of rant

• florida727 - Mar 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM

“The Baseball IDIOT”, huh? How ironic…

• joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Did you really think he was going to waltz out the hospital after going through what he did?

2. amoses74 - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM

big tubby….imagine how high he can shoot his kid into the air on a trampoline! haha

3. godcanfirealdavis - Mar 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

This happened right after he got off his motorcycle driving home from skydiving at the airfield… Trampoline??? What a fool….

4. buffalomafia - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Joba sucks! I hope Yanks cut him!

5. rpb1234 - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Lots of haters. Why does Joba make so many people mad? Don’t mention Youk… That was just awesome…

6. jimbo75025 - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Wow. All the hate for man who has suffered what is by all accounts a freak injury while playing with his kid during some downtime.

Not a NYY or Joba fan, but have some class and wish the guy a speedy recovery. Joba has done some dumb things, but nobody desesrves to potentially have their career ended due to someathing like this.

7. shawnuel - Mar 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yes, maybe jumping on a trampoline isn’t the smartest thing for a baseball player to do, but the guy was PLAYING WITH HIS SON! It’s not like he went dirt bike riding then told his manager he fell down while washing his truck. I think he deserves a little grace on this one.

• Old Gator - Mar 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM

And if he had been playing in traffic with his son, would his son’s presence have made him less of an idiot? Whether he was playing with his kid or not, what he was doing was stupid and dangerous for someone of his build and who has to depend on his body, such as it is, to provide for his family. I’m glad he didn’t break his damned fool neck or do more damage than he already has done to himself, but let’s face it: being on that trampoline was not a very bright move any way you look at it.

• JBerardi - Mar 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Trampolines: nature’s most ruthless killers.

Seriously, are trampolines really that dangerous? I mean, what he’d been in a serious car accident? Would everyone be talking about what an idiot he is for attempting to drive a car? A bad result doesn’t always reflect a bad decision. Sometimes a freak accident is just a freak accident.

8. tropboi11 - Mar 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Fat guy jumping on trampoline = broken ankle

9. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Superman does good, Joba, you’re doing well.

10. bbil2012 - Mar 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I keep picturing Chris Farley here.

11. jfk69 - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I am surprised he allowed this. Knowing Joba an exit on a skateboard would have seemed more in character.

12. stex52 - Mar 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Surprised that baseball teams don’t have something in multi-million dollar contracts about outside activities. I am sure he is insured, but I would write some type of automatic cover for this kind of thing, too. He was just not being very bright.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5034)
  2. M. Kemp (3538)
  3. J. Upton (2778)
  4. J. Kang (2768)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2683)
  1. C. McGehee (2677)