Mar 25, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera assured reporters last week that he was not going to miss the Tigers’ regular-season opener despite being diagnosed with a small fracture under his right eye. And it appears as though his optimism was warranted.
From John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press comes word that Cabrera is scheduled for a check-up exam Tuesday with team doctors. And if it is determined during that appointment that the third baseman has made sufficient progress, he will immediately be cleared to resume all baseball activities.
Cabrera would then be allowed to return to the Tigers’ Grapefruit League lineup on Thursday or Friday, giving him ample time to get properly warmed up for Detroit’s April 5 matchup with the Red Sox.
“If we get medical clearance, he’ll be in the lineup Opening Day,” manager Jim Leyland said Saturday. “If they want to sit on this another week, that’s different. It all sounds good, but I’ll be satisfied when I see him in the three-hole, playing.”
Cabrera, 28, was 13-for-30 (.433/.528/.633) this spring before suffering the facial fracture.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)