Miguel Cabrera to have fracture examined Tuesday, could be ready for Opening Day

Mar 25, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT

cabrera reuters Reuters

Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera assured reporters last week that he was not going to miss the Tigers’ regular-season opener despite being diagnosed with a small fracture under his right eye. And it appears as though his optimism was warranted.

From John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press comes word that Cabrera is scheduled for a check-up exam Tuesday with team doctors. And if it is determined during that appointment that the third baseman has made sufficient progress, he will immediately be cleared to resume all baseball activities.

Cabrera would then be allowed to return to the Tigers’ Grapefruit League lineup on Thursday or Friday, giving him ample time to get properly warmed up for Detroit’s April 5 matchup with the Red Sox.

“If we get medical clearance, he’ll be in the lineup Opening Day,” manager Jim Leyland said Saturday. “If they want to sit on this another week, that’s different. It all sounds good, but I’ll be satisfied when I see him in the three-hole, playing.”

Cabrera, 28, was 13-for-30 (.433/.528/.633) this spring before suffering the facial fracture.

1. cur68 - Mar 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Good for Miggy. All that work off season to get in the BSOHL shouldn’t be wasted. Now, can opening day get here juuuuuuuust a little faster, please? At the rate these guys are getting injured in ST, there won’t be anyone left to play in Regular Season games.

2. jwbiii - Mar 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I don’t know if I agree with you. The last few days has all been happy talk. Miguel Cabrera looks good to start the season, Chris Perez threw well, Ryan Vogelsong and David Wright are going to play soon, Justin Morneau had an MVP slugger kind of game off a real MLB pitcher, Joba Chamberlain is getting out of the hospital and may actually pitch this season, it looks like Matt F’n Bush will never drive again. . .

It all seems like good news. Too good.

• cur68 - Mar 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, eh? Anyhow, I’m a victim of my cultural heritage. Us semi-Asian types don’t believe in pumping up the good fortune too much: it attracts misfortune. Best to be pessimistic and that way, when you’re wrong, its all good news. Woe is me.

• jwbiii - Mar 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Brooding semi-Scandinavian here. The wheel always spins and it often kicks like a mule.

3. buffalomafia - Mar 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Take your time Miggy I have you in my Fantasy BB league!

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2695)