Mar 26, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
For now Matt Bush remains on the Rays’ 40-man roster following his arrest on DUI, hit-and-run, and several other charges, but that may soon be changing.
Executive vice president Andrew Friedman said yesterday that Bush is “not going to play for us again” and indicated that the ongoing investigation might be the only thing keeping the Rays from simply releasing him immediately.
Bush, who was arrested Thursday while driving teammate Brandon Guyer’s car, remains in jail on a $1 million bond and the 72-year-old motorcyclist he hit is in critical condition with a breathing tube.
Bush’s problems with alcohol and self-control cost him a chance to make good on the Padres picking him No. 1 overall in 2004 and now they’re costing him a chance to complete what had been a fairly successful transition to pitching.
It’s only a matter of time before the Rays trade or, more likely, release him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)