Mar 26, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
For now Matt Bush remains on the Rays’ 40-man roster following his arrest on DUI, hit-and-run, and several other charges, but that may soon be changing.
Executive vice president Andrew Friedman said yesterday that Bush is “not going to play for us again” and indicated that the ongoing investigation might be the only thing keeping the Rays from simply releasing him immediately.
Bush, who was arrested Thursday while driving teammate Brandon Guyer’s car, remains in jail on a $1 million bond and the 72-year-old motorcyclist he hit is in critical condition with a breathing tube.
Bush’s problems with alcohol and self-control cost him a chance to make good on the Padres picking him No. 1 overall in 2004 and now they’re costing him a chance to complete what had been a fairly successful transition to pitching.
It’s only a matter of time before the Rays trade or, more likely, release him.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)