Bobby Valentine calls reported rift with general manager Ben Cherington “lazy journalism”

Mar 26, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox general manager Cherington introduces Valentine as the new Boston Red Sox manager at Fenway Park in Boston Reuters

Two days ago Christopher Gasper of the Boston Globe wrote an article with the headline “Power Struggle May Weaken Red Sox” in which he wrote, among other things, that “a wedge appears to be forming between new manager Bobby Valentine and new general manager Ben Cherington” regarding several roster decisions.

Valentine responded to that article today, calling it “lazy journalism” and “an easy story to write” that has “no validity.”

Here’s more:

I could have written it in on December 3. Are you kidding me? There are some guys who are lazy and some guys who are clever. It was a clever journalist that set that all up, too. It comes with the territory.

Valentine added that he speaks with Cherington “a few times a day.”

Of course, my mother speaks to my grandmother “a few times a day” too and I’m pretty sure they’re both completely sick of each other at this point. I’m not sure who’s Valentine and who’s Cherington in that scenario, but I do know there’s nothing clever about it.

1. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

These days, it seems the term “lazy journalism” is getting more and more redundant.

• sabatimus - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

There’s a valid reason for that, and I’m not even going to explain what that is.

2. lyon810 - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Is anybody taking Valentine at the helm of this team seriously? I mean no one sees this working out right, I think his being appointed manager of the team was “lazy” on the part of the Red Sox front office

• spindervish - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Despite how unimportant I generally consider managers to be, I still couldn’t really agree more.

• 18thstreet - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I think he’s gone by June 30.

3. 13yrsmlbvet - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Where there’s smoke there’s fire. He isn’t Cherington’s guy. He is Lucchino’s. Larry wanted the Sox back on the front page any way he could. This is his way. That front office is stealth, low key under the radar, cerebral. They like the same in the manager’s office. Nerds don’t like attention.

• thinman61 - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The smoke is in Boston then, not Fort Meyers, as Gasper isn’t even at spring training. He sat in a cubicle on Morrisey Boulevard and spun fantasies out of thin air.

4. sabatimus - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Lazy journalism? In this day and age? No WAY.

5. JBerardi - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Basically, the story is “our current baseless speculation confirms our prior baseless speculation”. I agree that this is lazy journalism, except for the journalism part. Lazy editorializing, maybe.

• bosoxfan1950 - Mar 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Lazy proselytizing, perhaps? Trying to convert the reader to believe the b.s.
      As the American media malaise rears its ugly head now in Sports. In the Boston Globe no less! Red Smith, we really miss you and your ilk!

6. djpostl - Mar 26, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It might very well be lazy journalism.

But there ARE two common themes in here that are synonymous with in-fighting and contentious relationships.

Lucchino, who was at odds with Theo plenty of times and Bobby V., who has generally been at odds with anything that doesn’t stroke his ego for most of his career.

He also never addressed the fact the piece had some good points in it, like the perplexing way Bobby has used Bard this spring.

Curt Schilling did his best to figure out what Valentine’s thought process was on Baseball Tonight but came away thinking Valentine was painting the Sox in a corner by not getting Bard his innings/pitches, forcing the team’s hand into doing the exact opposite of what the front office had determined would be Bard’s role in the rotation.

• petey1999 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Curt Shilling.Really?

• djpostl - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yeah, late last week on Baseball Tonight he openly questioned what the hell Bobby V was thinking. He pointed out as you progress through each start in spring you build your pitch count and try to have hit 90-10 pitches by your last start so you are “stretched out” for the beginning of the regular season.

At that point he noted Bard had thrown 105 pitches. Total. As in 105 in all of his spring starts.

He then said it appears Valentine has it in his mind to use Bard in the bullpen OR had just 100% botched his handling of the young man as he got ready for the season.

• djpostl - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

90-100* pitches

7. bigharold - Mar 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Managers and GMs not agreeing 100% of the time under normal circumstances is neither new nor a harbinger of discord and interoffice shenanigans. That being said, when you’ve a “strong personality” like Valentine coupled with a new GM AND the world knows Valentine wasn’t his choice these stories are inevitable.

I’ve now doubt that at some point Valentine will talk himself out of the RS job. He just can’t help himself. Not some much like Billy Martin did with one fell swoop when he made his infamous liars remark about Steinbrenner and Jackson but more like Chinese water torture. An off hand remark here, .. a slight there, .. the occasional over blown reaction all in conjunction with Valentines self assured egomania. The only thing that could delay this would be Valentine winning the WS with the RS either this year or next, .. which all things considered not likely. Valentine is going to slowly rub enough people, FO types, ownership, the media AND players, the wrong way and then things will start to be leaked about his short comings. Ask Terry Francona or Grady Little they were both on the business end of such campaigns but with Valentine I think it’ll start before he’s thrown overboard. In the end, .. whether that be next year or later, .. Valentine will be dismissed not because of his ability as a field manager but his inability do what Francona did with relative ease, namely keep his mouth shut and deal with issues quietly and effectively behind the scenes.

To para phrase the comedian Ron White, Valentine has the right to remain silent but not the ability. But, I think he’ll help make the AL East fun in the mean time and interesting too as well as keeping the RS in contention if not very competitive.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Bobby V sucks. All the ESPN guys like to talk about how he knows more about baseball than anyone they’ve ever talked to. I say they need to talk to more people because I guarantee he doesn’t know any greater amount than any of his peers in the managing and coaching profession. Combine that with only a decent track record of winning but lots of headaches to go along with it and I don’t know why anyone would want this guy around.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I always thought the Marlins would be the circus to watch this season. I’ve changed my mind: It’s the Red Sox.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3235)