Mar 26, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
This time of year there are lots of stories about teams trying to sign free agents-to-be before they hit the open market following the season, but in the Brewers’ case they plan to let Shaun Marcum‘s contract expire.
Marcum has one year and $7.725 million left on his deal and general manager Doug Melvin told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that “we’ll probably let him play the year out.”
According to McCalvy “the Brewers have made no move to engage Marcum in discussions about an extension and that appears unlikely to change.”
Marcum is 30 years old, faded badly down the stretch last season amid concerns about arm problems, and missed time early in camp with a sore shoulder, so it’s tough to blame the Brewers for being hesitant about making a long-term commitment.
For his part, Marcum said that he’d “like to stay” and “won’t close the door, but if they close the door on their end, then it’s closed … there’s not a lot we can do about it.” Not a lot except get healthy, have a strong season, and cash in big as a free agent 30-something starts from now.
Brett Lawrie, whom the Brewers traded for Marcum, is under the Blue Jays’ control through 2017.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)