Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
This is the sixth knee surgery of Jones’ career and comes just days after the 39-year-old third baseman announced his intention to retire following the 2012 season. In an odd coincidence, Jones injured the knee while stretching just prior to the press conference.
Jones only missed around three weeks following arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last July, so the Braves are optimistic that he could return as soon as the home opener against the Brewers on April 13. Martin Prado is expected to fill in at the hot corner for now while Eric Hinske and Matt Diaz will split playing time in left field.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)