Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
This is the sixth knee surgery of Jones’ career and comes just days after the 39-year-old third baseman announced his intention to retire following the 2012 season. In an odd coincidence, Jones injured the knee while stretching just prior to the press conference.
Jones only missed around three weeks following arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last July, so the Braves are optimistic that he could return as soon as the home opener against the Brewers on April 13. Martin Prado is expected to fill in at the hot corner for now while Eric Hinske and Matt Diaz will split playing time in left field.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27