Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
This is the sixth knee surgery of Jones’ career and comes just days after the 39-year-old third baseman announced his intention to retire following the 2012 season. In an odd coincidence, Jones injured the knee while stretching just prior to the press conference.
Jones only missed around three weeks following arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last July, so the Braves are optimistic that he could return as soon as the home opener against the Brewers on April 13. Martin Prado is expected to fill in at the hot corner for now while Eric Hinske and Matt Diaz will split playing time in left field.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)