Mar 26, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Released by the Mariners last week, reliever Shawn Camp has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Cubs.
Seattle cutting Camp was surprising because he signed a $750,000 deal just a month earlier and pitched reasonably well last season with a 4.21 ERA in 66 innings for the Blue Jays.
Now he’ll have to work his way back to the majors with a stint at Triple-A and Camp’s deal doesn’t include a spot on the 40-man roster, so the Cubs will need to clear space for a promotion if/when they decide he’s needed.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)