Mar 26, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Initially when Blake Hawksworth underwent elbow surgery in January his status for Opening Day was said to be in question, but now it turns out the Dodgers right-hander is expected to miss much of the first half.
Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports that Hawksworth won’t return from the disabled list until at least mid-May “even under the most optimistic scenario” because an infection following his first surgery led to a second operation two weeks later.
Don Mattingly indicated that Hawksworth will need 45 days to rebuild his arm strength and that clock won’t start ticking until he’s advanced to throwing off a mound, but so far he’s limited to playing catch on flat ground.
In other words, it’s going to be a while.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)